Today I started placement at a new site in central London for a week, a place dedicated to cardiothoracic conditions and treatment. I would be travelling into central London – South Kensington – so I took a day trip at the weekend to get acquainted with the new location so I didn’t worry about not knowing where to go on the actual day.
On Saturday I set out for South Kensington on the train. I knew roughly how to get there, but couldn’t decide between changing at Wimbledon station or Clapham Junction (a life-changing decision, I know). To make a decision I asked the man at the station information desk for the most direct route to South Ken, but directed to South End. Fortunately I didn’t follow his advice, and on repeating my question I was told to change for the District Line at Wimbledon, the next stop. So I did.
I boarded a train going towards Edgware Road, but because it didn’t stop directly at South Kensington I had to change at Earl’s Court (a station that actually honours the use of punctuation – unlike Barons Court and Parsons Green). From there I tentatively strayed from my original ‘stay on the District Line’ plan, and joined the Piccadilly Line and got off at my destination. It wasn’t actually that bad a journey, but it worked wonders for my feeling of independence. I had embarked on an adventure!
I exited the station only to find that I didn’t know where I was, but at least I had time to explore and work things out. After photographing the station sign (to prove that I’d actually arrived) I wandered around blankly before deciding to re-enter the station, and after walking along the long underground corridor, past the inevitable busker, I then came out onto Exhibition Road. I knew immediately where I was, breathed in the fact that I was back in South Kensington - the home of Holy Trinity Brompton and the Royal Albert Hall – and wandered down the street.
Before long I had to consult my map. I was lost again.
Eventually I passed the other entrance which I’d come out from only ten minutes ago. (Ah, so I’d just gone round in a great big circle for nothing!) I tried to follow my directions, and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw signs to the hospital. However I completely missed the turning, and ended up walking in another square before I found the hospital entrance. I went in and told the man at the desk that I was there in preparation for the following week, looking for the radiology department. He told me it was on the third floor, and said to come back on Tuesday as Monday was a bank holiday.
After leaving the hospital, and feeling a lot more confident about knowing where I would be going, I’d planned to get a bite to eat and wander over to the park opposite the Royal Albert Hall, to find a bench. Before that though I wanted to visit Sloane Square underground station to get a photo of the sign (yes, I have a thing about Diagnosis Murder). Before long I got my photograph; I’m like that with train station signs, though my real goal is to get Mornington Crescent, but it still proves evasive; if only I had someone with me to hold the camera. One day.
From Sloane Square I walked up Sloane Street to Knightsbridge station, basically going on a big quadrilateral circuit, ultimately bringing me back to South Ken. I looked out for somewhere to buy lunch, and settled on a Pret, before trying to find HTB in preparation for travelling to a wedding in November.
I arrived in South Kensington Park/Hyde Park (unsure which), but there were no benches so I found a nice spot under a tree. While eating my first baguette (I’d planned ahead and bought two) I did my Bible study. The thought for the day really made me think: Jesus had me in mind when He decided not to save Himself from the Cross.
As I read my Bill Bryson book a man approached me and said, “You’re a very fortunate young man; you have a lucky face”. What do you say to a comment like that? I said thank you, but he continued, “And next month here is going to be very lucky for you”. “Cool”, I said, having no intention of returning the following month. But then he asked to look at my hands to tell my future. After saying “No thank you”, he left; then I wished I’d said something about being a Christian. Once his back was turned, I rushed to get my camera to capture the moment. As I watched him I saw him approach a lady. When she walked away looking equally shocked and confused I suspected that perhaps this was just something he said to everyone. I guess I’ll never know. Well, at least my face is lucky.
Soon afterwards, I heard music playing in the distance and decided to follow it. It led me to the bandstand and... the Scottish Country Dancing Society (again)! I had a definite feeling of déjà vu, but stayed till the end, enjoying the gorgeous weather and relaxing with the music. I was in no rush, after all.
Then I decided to make my return journey. Incidentally, all the photos from my visit can be seen at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=474340&id=777915320&l=835d86d66b
This blog entry was originally meant to include events from my first day at the hospital in South Kensington, but looking back I’ve written a lot already, so I’ll conclude this in the next installment. Plus, I’ll be able to talk about tomorrow’s exciting experience – open heart surgery!
Tuesday, 31 August 2010
Chapter Twenty - "Lost in London"
Labels:
Holy Trinity Brompton,
hospital,
journey,
London,
park,
placement,
South Kensington,
train,
underground
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.