Christmas day has passed once more, and I am back at home again after spending time away with the extended family. The observant among you may have realised that I had not written since my last entry in October, so now in this post-Christmas lull I felt it appropriate to bring you up to speed with events in my life.
You may wonder why it has taken me so long to get back to these updates. The answer is simple; I wanted to be sure that friends were not encouraging me to write for the wrong reasons. Rather I wanted to leave enough time, so that when I eventually returned to write, it was with clear intentions, and that I was not being led astray.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple of weeks ago I finished the clinical aspect of my course at university. It felt strange going in on the final Friday, knowing that I would not be returning on the Monday. It was sad to say farewell to so many genuinely lovely people, but from their feedback, I know I am leaving the department on a high point, and we four students will be sorely missed. As I was once told, “If we weren’t pleased with you, we would have said”. It has been an encouraging time, and I feel I have gained rather a reputation!
The following week I faced my final examination before the Christmas holiday. Despite having to adjust the computer sets manually – to everyone’s frustration – I feel I have written enough to achieve a pass. Even so, it will be a relief to know the results... whenever that may be! I remain quietly confident; God has got me this far, and I have faith that he will not let me down now.
Moving forward, I returned home for the Christmas holiday last Monday, taking five separate trains for a journey which would usually see me only changing once. Thankfully the previous night’s dream (which saw me getting on a train at Surbiton whilst leaving my luggage on the platform) did not come true, and despite the occasional delay (at Guildford) and standing in the various train corridors, the journey went smoothly.
The snow at Exeter made driving difficult however, so I was advised to travel further by train, and stay over with a friend in Totnes. During this stay I did some Christmas shopping and lent a hand with the tree decorating. I never knew it required so much precision and attention!
A few days down the line, and the snow did not prevent us from visiting family over the Christmas season. We were invited to Salisbury, to spend time with my uncle, aunt, cousins, and various parents; an occasion I always enjoy for the fun and the friends, and the memories that transpire. Sadly this was to be our last Christmas spent here, as my uncle would be retiring in the new year, and as a rector, the house would remain with the next person to take on the role. We made sure it was memorable.
At dinner on Christmas Eve it was brought to my attention that though there were thirteen of us, there was a fourteenth on the way - the first of a new generation. As a result, we shared our congratulations by ‘toasting the baby’, and I was made an ‘honorary Uncle’; though being an only child I was actually (as we established) a First Cousin Once Removed.
Time ticked on, and soon we left for the Midnight Mass celebration. It was good to see so many attending the service - and a lot of younger people too. Though the service was long, and the message was questionable (though I think I understood the point trying to be made), the singing was uplifting, and I enjoyed being out on Christmas Eve, though the temptation to fall asleep during the prayers was ever present. As we left the church I noticed the mistletoe hanging over the archway; now there’s something I have never done!
When I woke up (later) on Christmas morning, I explored my pillowcase/’stocking’ and found myself enthused by none other than a pair of dice (which I incorrectly thought were weighted) and a spinning top. Simple pleasures! After brunch we all embarked on unwrapping our Christmas gifts. I received a book by Bill Bryson, a weighty book about 1001 significant inventions, cologne, a personalised tortoise jewellery box (designed by Mum), and a leather messenger bag – perfect for my laptop and my papers for my dissertation. Incidentally, the bag’s manufacturer uses a tortoise logo, implying that the gift was intended for me all along! Unlike other years we didn’t have a Christmas film planned (well, we did but it didn’t arrive), so after some general conversation, and absent-minded viewing of Riverdance on television, a few of us headed outside to build a snowman. The consistency of the snow meant that this was impossible, however, so we instead got the hula-hoops out and did some hooping in the snow; now there’s something I have never done either!
Christmas dinner was amazing – anything written here wouldn’t do it justice, so you’ll have to use your imagination. Failing that, use somebody else’s.
In all, Christmas was a success. With family around and a very relaxed atmosphere, I couldn’t have asked for anything else. My photos from the celebration can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=582778&id=777915320&l=b0dc5e4f98
You may wonder why it has taken me so long to get back to these updates. The answer is simple; I wanted to be sure that friends were not encouraging me to write for the wrong reasons. Rather I wanted to leave enough time, so that when I eventually returned to write, it was with clear intentions, and that I was not being led astray.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple of weeks ago I finished the clinical aspect of my course at university. It felt strange going in on the final Friday, knowing that I would not be returning on the Monday. It was sad to say farewell to so many genuinely lovely people, but from their feedback, I know I am leaving the department on a high point, and we four students will be sorely missed. As I was once told, “If we weren’t pleased with you, we would have said”. It has been an encouraging time, and I feel I have gained rather a reputation!
The following week I faced my final examination before the Christmas holiday. Despite having to adjust the computer sets manually – to everyone’s frustration – I feel I have written enough to achieve a pass. Even so, it will be a relief to know the results... whenever that may be! I remain quietly confident; God has got me this far, and I have faith that he will not let me down now.
Moving forward, I returned home for the Christmas holiday last Monday, taking five separate trains for a journey which would usually see me only changing once. Thankfully the previous night’s dream (which saw me getting on a train at Surbiton whilst leaving my luggage on the platform) did not come true, and despite the occasional delay (at Guildford) and standing in the various train corridors, the journey went smoothly.
The snow at Exeter made driving difficult however, so I was advised to travel further by train, and stay over with a friend in Totnes. During this stay I did some Christmas shopping and lent a hand with the tree decorating. I never knew it required so much precision and attention!
A few days down the line, and the snow did not prevent us from visiting family over the Christmas season. We were invited to Salisbury, to spend time with my uncle, aunt, cousins, and various parents; an occasion I always enjoy for the fun and the friends, and the memories that transpire. Sadly this was to be our last Christmas spent here, as my uncle would be retiring in the new year, and as a rector, the house would remain with the next person to take on the role. We made sure it was memorable.
At dinner on Christmas Eve it was brought to my attention that though there were thirteen of us, there was a fourteenth on the way - the first of a new generation. As a result, we shared our congratulations by ‘toasting the baby’, and I was made an ‘honorary Uncle’; though being an only child I was actually (as we established) a First Cousin Once Removed.
Time ticked on, and soon we left for the Midnight Mass celebration. It was good to see so many attending the service - and a lot of younger people too. Though the service was long, and the message was questionable (though I think I understood the point trying to be made), the singing was uplifting, and I enjoyed being out on Christmas Eve, though the temptation to fall asleep during the prayers was ever present. As we left the church I noticed the mistletoe hanging over the archway; now there’s something I have never done!
When I woke up (later) on Christmas morning, I explored my pillowcase/’stocking’ and found myself enthused by none other than a pair of dice (which I incorrectly thought were weighted) and a spinning top. Simple pleasures! After brunch we all embarked on unwrapping our Christmas gifts. I received a book by Bill Bryson, a weighty book about 1001 significant inventions, cologne, a personalised tortoise jewellery box (designed by Mum), and a leather messenger bag – perfect for my laptop and my papers for my dissertation. Incidentally, the bag’s manufacturer uses a tortoise logo, implying that the gift was intended for me all along! Unlike other years we didn’t have a Christmas film planned (well, we did but it didn’t arrive), so after some general conversation, and absent-minded viewing of Riverdance on television, a few of us headed outside to build a snowman. The consistency of the snow meant that this was impossible, however, so we instead got the hula-hoops out and did some hooping in the snow; now there’s something I have never done either!
Christmas dinner was amazing – anything written here wouldn’t do it justice, so you’ll have to use your imagination. Failing that, use somebody else’s.
In all, Christmas was a success. With family around and a very relaxed atmosphere, I couldn’t have asked for anything else. My photos from the celebration can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=582778&id=777915320&l=b0dc5e4f98
To all of you reading this, please take a moment to remember the real reason for Christmas – Christ’s birth. It should affect our perspective on life, and cause us to look to the future.
As to the immediate future, I have my dissertation to complete (due: Feb ’11), my driving test (weather permitting, 7th Jan), and eventually my graduation. God has it all in hand, but your prayers are still very much appreciated.
Enjoy the rest of your Christmas celebrations, and I’ll see you in the New Year!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.