It’s been a while since my last update, and, with my birthday recently I felt now was as good a time as any to write again.
Looking back...
The Wednesday before last saw my birthday – another year older already. On the Tuesday evening my housemates decided to celebrate with the help of a Chinese takeaway, and a big (well, regular sized) game of Monopoly. I also opened the presents they’d bought me, although it felt strange opening them a day early – I got a chocolate Monopoly game, a scrolling message thing (like a mini-version of the ones seen on buses), and blood-like shower gel (which thankfully smells of cherries). Photos from the evening can be seen at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=615924&id=777915320&l=2e597ce617
On a side note, prior to playing our Monopoly game I decided to bulk up the bank and created some more £50 notes – one of my housemates had some purple paper, and I had the idea of photocopying onto it. The big question was whether it was permissible to reproduce Monopoly money, as it felt strange cutting it out from A4 sheets!
I was to be out for much of the day on Wednesday, which also made the Tuesday evening party appropriate. I had agreed to help with a university Open Day; my first over at a different site. Then there would be choir, where I could wish the Director of Music a happy birthday, too! I had only found out about our joint birthday the previous week, and because it was so unexpected, I promptly sent a text off to Mark.
Wednesday, for the most part felt like any other day – it’s strange how you wait the whole year for your birthday to come around, and then when it arrives, it passes by so quickly and so normally. I was to head into town to catch the bus to the Open Day at 11:30, travelling with a coursemate. Before that I spent time opening the remaining cards and presents. There was a £20 cheque, and £5, for which I was very grateful (being a student, any money helps), and a cafetière and coffee, which provided me with an excuse to branch out. Despite being a tea drinker, I might grow to like this. Who knows!
When we arrived for the Open Day, my coursemate and I found that we were the only students from our year representing our side of the profession; in fact, there wasn’t anyone representing the other side. This would prove challenging when one of us would be sitting on the panel later on, fielding the questions from the large number of prospective medical students. Somehow we’d manage.
As I had never done tours at this site before, and had not studied here since my first term about two and a half years ago, I followed another student on her tour and tried to remember all she said. When my turn came I found myself - with the help of a few wrong turns - finishing tours of the various floors rather more abruptly than hoped, saying “The other side of the floor is exactly the same as this side. Now we’ll move down one floor”. I even lead my group onto the incorrect staircase at one point, getting thoroughly lost; not brilliant when trying to maintain the facade that you know your way around the place!
As the Open Day drew to a close, I looked at my watch, and realised I was running out of time. I had wanted to make it for the start of the choir rehearsal, but with a bus journey of over half an hour ahead of me (to get back to town, and then back out again) this would be impossible. As it happened I arrived an hour late, halfway into the rehearsal. When the break came I greeted the Director, wished him a happy birthday, and passed on my card. At the end we got a joint rendition of ‘Happy Birthday’, and people were happily wishing me, too, a happy birthday. It was a nice feeling to be acknowledged in this way, and was very touching. Neither of us had particularly special plans for the evening, however.
Back home I started on another round of Monopoly (the game of the moment, evidently), but it wasn’t long before a few guests arrived to help me celebrate. The game was put on hold (and never resumed), and we chatted for the rest of the evening – not a big party, but very enjoyable and relaxing. Photos can be seen at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=615980&id=777915320&l=7deaf118cd
The birthday festivities covered, there’s just one more thing to say before I look forward to the weekend ahead. I (provisionally) passed my last exams with an A, B and C. Despite the issues with the last test I made the grade, and I am very grateful to God for getting me through the course this far. I now have renewed optimism that I can make it all the way! Now back to the future...
Looking ahead...
Next Friday sees the long-awaited arrival of Mark (as stated in a previous post) for our weekend together. I’m really excited about this, as not only is it my second opportunity to bring a friend back to the house (and yes, I left it late to do so!), but it will be interesting being the host, and showing Mark around London for a change – my turf. Also, with our traditional holiday sleepovers on hold, this visit makes up for it.
On the Friday night we will be heading out to see a production of Les Misérables in the West End; a sort of joint birthday present if you like – it dawned on us recently that in all these years we’ve never once had a joint birthday celebration! After reading the synopsis on Wikipedia (and getting slightly freaked out by an old photo of myself from 2001) I am more excited than ever about seeing the musical. I only hope I can keep up with the plot. With Mark arriving at around 3 on the day, and the production kicking off at 7:30, once we buy our all-day travelcards we will have plenty of time to take another long-sought excursion – to Mornington Crescent for a photo (and the chance to say that I’ve finally been there). Who knows when the next opportunity would present itself, and with more appropriate company?
On the Saturday night it is time for the Old West Buckland Association’s (OWBA) annual London Dinner – the original reason for Mark’s visit. This time we’re taking to the Thames for a river cruise, fine dining, and farewell to some much loved staff, Alan and Kathy. It’s a black tie affair, and as Mark and I get dressed up I am sure some of my housemates will confirm that I indeed went to a posh school – I realise that there’s no point denying it! Now I also know some of our classmates who are attending this year; a trio of girls who I haven’t spoken to for ages. It’s strange how communication drops off, simply because of university life!
But the fun of the weekend will not end there: on Sunday morning there will be a visit to church. With his return ticket now sorted for around 3, rather than 12:30, Mark will be able to stay for the whole service and catch up with my friends, meaning I can also be more sociable, and eventually say a less-rushed farewell.
I almost don’t want the weekend arrive (which is slightly paradoxical, I know), as it will pass too quickly, but I can be sure that I will enjoy every minute. How often do such occasions come along, after all?
Due to the length of this entry already, I realise I haven’t been able to cover everything here. But life is primarily to be lived, not blogged, and so things are just as they should be.
Saturday, 5 March 2011
Chapter Twenty Six - "Looking Back, Looking Ahead"
Labels:
birthday,
celebration,
farewell,
Les Miserables,
London,
Mark,
open day,
OWBA,
party,
Thames,
visit,
West Buckland,
Wikipedia
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.