Day 6 – Wednesday, 11th September (‘By the Lake’)
Today we’d be canoeing up
Clearwater Lake, spending a night under the stars. In the canoe, paired with
Tom, I employed muscles I hadn’t used for a long time – certainly not in the
pursuit of watersports, since doing windsurfing a few years ago. I was rather
glad to have the company, as previous experiences of solo canoeing (rather,
kayaking) had always ended up with me in the water – not something I particularly
wanted to repeat. Thankfully, I didn’t get wet this time. We were rowing
towards a secluded beach with a good prospect of morning sun. Such beautiful
surroundings, and the lake was certainly worthy of its name. After dinner, we
all lay on the beach for a spot of stargazing. My inner-astronomer not being as
sharp as in my schooldays, I admired the scene from a simple point of view,
enjoying the wonder of creation and letting my thoughts wander.
After making our return canoe
trip to the mainland (which I found much easier), we headed back to our
accommodation – the Ranch – via a couple of waterfalls, the first one being
Helmcken Falls, at 141m, the fourth or fifth highest in British Columbia. A
demonstration of just how much power water can exhibit!
With no more formal
activities planned for the day, we relaxed before dinner. Not needing to put
tents up tonight helped, as we would be staying in wooden cabins instead. It felt
nice to be able to stand up by my bed; ah, the little things we take for
granted!
We were dining at the Ranch’s
own ‘Black Horse Saloon’ tonight, a typical Wild West atmosphere, where it was
commonplace for people to wear Stetsons (not fancy dress). For food, I ordered
a big ol’ 8oz steak, despite it being the most expensive thing on the menu. When
we attended the grill for serving, the man dropped the steak on my plate with a
hearty thud. “I hope you’re hungry”, he said. Indeed I was. Melt in the mouth,
and worth every dollar. Even with tax.
Today, as we made for our
next stop in Jasper National Park, we visited Mount Robson, the highest peak in
the Canadian Rockies. Plenty of opportunity for great photos, contrasting the
mountains with the water. Thankfully, Tom captured the scene on his camera,
mine being somewhat uneffective.
As we entered Jasper National
Park we spotted some elk feeding by the roadside; my first sighting of such
creatures, rather like big deer. At our site, it really felt like wilderness
camping, with trees and woodland directly outside the tent. Thankfully, there
were still the usual facilities. The evening was rounded off with a delicious
Thai red curry, certainly a first for a camping trip!
After moving our tent (no
more than two tents per plot – a strange rule), we had breakfast and embarked
on another hike, up Mount Edith Cavell, named after the nurse in the first
World War. From the walking path we were able to see the spectacular Angel
Glacier, a ridge of snow on the side of the mountain. From our epic trek up
Whistler on Day 4, I was certainly feeling more able on this hike, though it
may have been due in part to my enthusiasm of wearing my new boots again.
Later, we stopped by the
Athabasca Falls, not too far from where we would be doing our Glacier Walk
later in the trip. Stunning in itself, but by now all the waterfalls were
blending together in my mind.
We spent a couple of hours in
town – relaxing and doing our own thing, like going for a Tim Horton’s – before
Tom and I cooked dinner back at camp. After our typically British-style bangers
and mash, we got ready to enjoy the Hot Springs. However, James had misjudged
the closing time, so after an hour’s drive we arrived with only fifteen minutes
left. Pleading with the lady at reception, we were allowed to go in for free
(minus the $1 locker charge), for a very relaxing, but very short soak. A
strange end to the day. There would be another chance for Hot Springs later in
our holiday – I guess we would just have to have another go!
This morning was extremely
cold – for the first time since coming to Canada, I could see my breath. I put
on all the layers I could, and braved the chill for a very quick breakfast.
Today we would be leaving Jasper.
On our way to the Athabasca
Glacier, where we would do our Glacier Walk, we travelled along the Icefields
Highway, one of the most beautiful drives in the world. The glacier itself was
running off the Columbia Icefield, the largest permanent expanse of ice in
North America, south of the Arctic Circle.
As our tourguide showed us,
it was sobering to see how fast the glaciers were receding – signposts marked
its position in 1992, 1982, 1948 and so on. So much so, that our grandchildren
won’t see it. A scary thought. On the ice walk, there wasn’t much to seen,
except a large expanse of white. There were some crevices, and the ground shone
an icy blue colour; pretty impressive to see, but not somewhere I particularly
wanted to take a tumble.
Arriving at our next site in
Banff National Park, we set up camp and then thought about what to do tomorrow –
another free day. I fancied going for a hike, and Tom seemed to agree. However,
when Sabrina showed up with leaflets about trail riding on horseback, I began
to have other ideas.
(To be continued…)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.