Today, Saturday, saw the second of two consecutive weddings – last weekend’s being that of Jon and Anja, the latest in the line of Cornerstone marriages. (Who’s next?) This time it was the turn of Dave and Rachel in Bristol. Dave and I go back a long way, so I definitely wasn’t going to miss this one! As I said recently on Facebook, with every new person getting married, sure enough you don’t lose friends, but something certainly changes.
So, tickets bought, and a
place arranged to spend the night (very last minute, but profound thanks to
Isaac and Laura for putting me up), I headed to the train station. After arriving
in time to watch the earlier train leave, fears started to arise when I
realised that my scheduled train was running late – first five minutes, then
ten. Despite my prebooked tickets, perhaps I should have used my normal
travelcard to get into Waterloo as soon as possible. I had no idea what I would
do if my train was delayed indefinitely or cancelled, as I’ve known can happen
at the last minute. Hindsight, I thought, is a great thing – only it comes too
late! Eventually, after much prayer, my train finally arrived, and to my
relief, travelled non-stop into London. Thus I made my connections to
Paddington and Bristol. The journey passed fairly uneventfully, though not
having eaten anything since about seven o’clock, I was disappointed that the
food trolley didn’t make an appearance. Darn these economy seats!
I arrived in Bristol about
forty five minutes early for the wedding, and found the church very quickly.
Seeing a smartly dressed group congregating outside a church at the end of the
road, told me I was in the right place! Amongst the expected faces – Anthony and
Dave; Dave, Andrew, Tom and Esther; Sophie and Emily – was one unexpected face,
Will! I had wondered briefly whether I would see anyone from West Buckland, but
instantly dismissed the thought with a feeling of ‘of course not’. What a small
world it is! Will and his wife, Esther were there as the photographers (she has
a photography business), doing a super job by the look of things. After letting
the sights of all these faces sink in, and realising just how much catching up
there was to do, I went inside the church with the others. I was still rather
hungry.
As we mingled, I made sure
that I was introduced to Isaac and Laura, who had also offered to give me a
lift to the reception. I greeted Isaac, and Laura was pointed out to me as the
lady with the horses on her dress – immediately recognisable. I found a seat on
the groom’s side of the church, next to Anthony, and we continued catching up
on events since we’d last met. He still remembered the ‘yogurt incident’ from
Soul Survivor (something I had actually forgotten), which never failed to make
him smile. I cringed as I remembered catching the pot, which was thrown to me
for dessert. And while doing so, putting my thumb through the lid, covering myself
with the strawberry goo. (My immortal next words were “Can I have a spoon?”)
Conversation progressed onto absent friends, and then farmyard-themed neckwear –
Dave, a man in the row in front, was wearing a tie decorated with tractors. I
misheard the conversation at this point, and thinking that there was something
on his tie, proceeded to try and get the groom’s attention. Thankfully he didn’t
see me before I realised my error. When eventually the service began, and
Rachel proceeded down the aisle looking stunning, preceded by Beccy, Dave’s
younger sister – the only bridesmaid I recognised – it occurred to me how
strange it felt to be sitting in the congregation; for the last two weddings I’d
been with the band at the front. This made a pleasant change.
After a few songs, and the saying
of the vows, one of the elders stood up to give the sermon, drawing on the
theme of advertisements – ultimately making the point that a marriage is an
advertisement for God’s relationship with His church, and points us to
something much more than simply the bond between a man and a woman. I thought
it was a clear, strong message, which was only dampened by the fact that there
was a lot of background noise coming from Zachary, Tim’s baby boy, who was
taking to hitting things loudly and shouting ‘mummy’ from time to time. But
some things can’t be helped. (Tim, Dave's older brother, was the best man - returning the favour from his own wedding back in 2008. He was on the front row of seats, though his wife Rachel was sitting in the row just in front of me. I asked her if it was going to get confusing having two Mrs Rachel Chapmans in the family - to which she responded, "Of course not! There should be more!")
After Dave and Rachel signed
the register, I tried to get a good photo of them together, but had trouble
finding the best setting on my camera. As such I managed to get rather a grainy
picture, but had more success as they were leaving the building. Using the
sports setting, I got a good un-blurred close-up, and some very sharp pictures
of their backs (wrong place to stand, methinks). Soon enough I rejoined Isaac
and Laura, and we left for the reception.
On arriving at the venue, the
Bodkin – which was disappointingly closed for a private function; oh wait – we found
we were among the first there, arriving ahead of the bride and groom (who, I
later found out, were travelling in a car with a top speed of 40mph, meaning we
had plenty of time). I finally had a chance to talk to Beccy, who seemed well,
back from Hawaii for a few weeks. I casually reminded her that she was next,
being the only unmarried sibling – no pressure. It was also good at this point
to catch up with Anthony and Dave S properly (though when Dave – the groom –
arrived he had to disappear on groomsman photo duties), along with Ian and Julia, the groom's parents. Before we could head
into the marquee for dinner, we all came together outside for group photos,
Esther standing on a table to try and include as many people as possible. But
why a wasp had to land on my face at the very moment the photo was to be taken,
I will never know. I suppose it just adds to my hapless reputation.
Soon the time came to move
over for the meal and speeches, and on reaching the lady who was directing us to
our tables, I realised I’d succeeded in walking straight past the seating plan.
Awkwardly, I tried to push my way against the oncoming crowd, and went over to
find my table. To my delight, I was sitting with people I knew – making a
change from previous weddings (ie. not the bride’s family) – including Esther
and Will, who was keen to discuss radiology computer systems with me, as his
job was developing in that direction. I sat next to Anthony and Trina on my
left, and Andrew and (the other) Esther on my right, with Emily, Faye and Andy
across from me. Looking at the menu, I remembered ordering potted pork to
start, followed by the chicken supreme. Notably, Will ordered the goat’s cheese
to start – something that he would never have been able to eat back in our
schooldays. Praise God for such miraculous healing!
Then came the speeches, with
Dave thanking all the people who made the day possible. Tim’s best man speech –
which included input from me, regarding a long forgotten creation, ‘Fudge
Fighter’ – was particularly enjoyable, and touching, as he commended marriage
to his brother and asked that God would use his relationship as an example, as
described in the sermon.
After making the various
toasts, and consuming a lot of wine, we vacated the tent so that the evening
band could set up for the music entertainment later on. During this time I
moved into the lounge area, and enjoyed more relaxed conversation. When the disco
finally got underway, we discovered three things – firstly, that it is very
difficult to know how to dance to a jazz setlist; secondly, that sometimes you
just have to leave the dancefloor to get yourself a bacon butty (or two); and
thirdly, that despite the good quality of the music, there’s no resisting the
pull of the photobooth – particularly when the photos are professionally taken.
I made sure to pick up Esther’s business card before the evening was out, and
exchanged numbers with Will.
The last event of the day was
seeing the happy couple off, with sparklers. Standing at the front of the
venue, holding an unlit sparkler in one hand, and a match in the other, trying
to keep warm in the damp breeze, I wondered how things would turn out. I never
found out the answer to this problem however, as Laura and Isaac were keen to
leave. I was a bit disappointed at such an abrupt ending to the occasion, but admittedly
it was getting late - about quarter to eleven - and some people had to work in the morning. On arriving at
their house, I was shown to my room for the night, with a very comfortable double
bed. In all, it had been a very full day, so I was very glad to put my head
down, and I fell asleep almost immediately. Thus ended another wedding.
#chapmanwedding

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.