Sunday, 13th March
2016 was a packed day. For a start, I was in the morning worship band on bass –
something that I’ve come to love, although I am keenly aware that I need to
pray against pride in this area. The band had been subject to another reshuffle
lately, so the frequency with which I find myself playing tends to vary. As
such, I remain flexible and willing, and am continually grateful that I still
haven’t had to work on Sundays – God remains good to me!
After a very powerful sermon
on Revelation 8 and 9, highlighting the shocking fallenness and utter confusion
seen in our world today, our homegroup was hosting the church lunch. As I
supplied drinks, I arrived slightly later, unintentionally avoiding much of the
preparations. Even so, it was a joy to serve in any way I could.
By half past two, I realised
I had to make tracks. I was leaving for Ilford (via Barking) shortly after
three, as I had given my word to Jess, one of my radiography students, that I would
join her to celebrate her baptism – despite her church being over in North
London, at the other extent of the District Line! As I had been reminded
recently, through my reminiscences in my old school leavers’ book, I was hailed
as a man of integrity – and I wanted to hold true to that impression.
The tube journey seemed
interminable, and I couldn’t help wishing that things could have been slightly
nearer. Still, I was excited to see Jess again and celebrate with her, being
reminded that ultimately, locations aside, she and I were members of the same
family – part of God’s people. What a joy!
On leaving the train at
Barking, and very aware of being in unknown territory, I caught the bus to
Ilford, relying on the directions on my phone for comfort. Although the bus
dropped me at the stop I expected, I found myself very near to the main road.
Due to the lack of pavement from this point onwards, I was at a loss as to how
to follow TfL’s subsequent instructions; so near and yet so far!
As I made my way back to the
bus stop to rethink, I saw a girl walking in the other direction. As she was
facing away from me, I called for help. No answer. I called louder. Still no
answer, and she was still walking away from me! Jogging to overtake her, I
discovered she had earphones in, so waving my arms somewhat, and fixing my gaze
to get her attention, I again asked for her assistance. Success! I explained my
predicament, and that I was like a fish out of water, and she reassured me that
she’d lived in the area for nine years and knew where I was headed. We
confidently walked down a footpath to an underpass, before she checked my phone
and turned around and walked me back in the opposite direction. We eventually came
to a Baptist church, and I suggested calling Jess to check whether this was the
right place, while the girl (Kay, her name was) offered to wait while I
confirmed things. I discovered from Jess that it wasn’t the right place, and
that I would need to continue onto the high street and keep walking until I
reached a roundabout – there I would find the church. Now feeling confident
about my directions, I thanked Kay and we parted. As I was walking along,
finally at ease, an oncoming car pulled up by the kerb, and the window came
down. Jess leaned out and asked me to hop in. We then proceeded back to the
church I’d just left. Jess was in the back of the car with her friend, Millie,
while Millie’s mum was driving. I was grateful for the lift – all of 300 yards.
The confusion over the location was due to Jess’s regular church venue being
refurbished, so this was a temporary alternative, evidently still somewhat
unfamiliar.
On entering, Jess disappeared
and I sat with Millie and we chatted about life, and our various experiences
with our university Christian Unions. Before long, the service started and we
were singing and hearing the testimonies of the baptismal candidates – all
eleven of them. And Jess was up first. Despite being nervous, she shared her
brief testimony clearly and without stumbling over her words. I knew then that
she was serious about this decision and I was overjoyed to welcome another
sister into God’s family. I gave my strong and heartfelt applause. The
testimonies that followed were equally moving, with each person bringing out something
of their own personality (one even wrote his story as a poem). Some testimonies
were incredibly personal and brutally honest, only adding to the sincerity of
the decision being made. The main talk was on the subject of relationships and
commitment to Jesus, pleading for those who didn’t know God personally to come
and find him before it was too late. As the baptisms followed, Jess’s verse of
scripture was Philippians 4v6-7, one of the verses I had texted her for
encouragement the previous night – clearly meant from God.
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And
the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4v6-7)
After the service I was able
to give Jess my card and gift – a plaque with a verse on it (Jeremiah 29v11). I
shared some insight from my own baptism and offered some words of
encouragement, before she introduced me to her pastor (a fellow bassist) and
some more of her friends. They implored me to come back again, and I smiled and
nodded, realising that the distance and other commitments may hinder such a
visit. However, the future is in God’s hands and he’ll provide the opportunity
if it’s right to return.
I caught the return train
thinking how God had blessed me yet again in my circumstances. If I hadn’t been
working in East London at this exact time, I may never have met Jess, and this
occasion would never have been shared. Another ‘God-incident’ as Jess would
say, and a demonstration of God’s kindness to me. Truly a day of blessing to
encourage me in my faith, before the return to the daily routine.
Well done Jess, my sister;
welcome to the family!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.