Day 5 – Sunday, 7th August 2016
Today,
the day of rest, provided the chance for a change of scene. The mountains,
trees and waterfalls were replaced with old cobbled streets and ornate churches,
as I joined the outing to Verona, setting of Romeo and Juliet. I teamed up with
Rob, Irene and Phil. We crossed the old bridge, to enter the town centre,
passing a couple of buskers – a violinist (typically Italian – well, we weren’t
too far from Cremona) and an accordion player. I couldn’t resist throwing some
change to the former, but then I’m biased. We found the amphitheatre, like
Christians going to the Coliseum. Queues meant we couldn’t actually get inside,
but there were a couple of friendly Roman soldiers out front for photos. Soon
we were on our way to our second sight, Giulietta’s balcony. The balcony itself
was just that, a balcony, but people were pressing in to see, and writing
everlasting love messages on a wall (some, I noticed, were romantically written
on sticking plasters). It made me wonder, seeing as Romeo and Juliet was
fictitious, who was the real Juliet? Our final sight (we only had a two hour
time frame) was the cathedral. However, en route we peered into a few churches
and took photographs before leaving. If this was in England, it would have been
a little strange, but here it seemed commonplace. However, still rather unusual
coming from us, a group of Christians! A highlight of the visit was the ice
cream (I had lemon) that Phil kindly bought for me. Authentic Italian gelato!
(When in Rome…)
On a rather light note, during
our tour I bought some fridge magnets of Verona from an Oriental vendor. There
we were, both speaking Italian, when I could’ve probably addressed him in his
native tongue!
From Verona we went on to
Sirmione to cool off in Lake Garda. As I searched for the beach, with Patrick,
Nick and Phil I tried out some simple Italian, ‘Perdone señore, soy Inglesse,
dove la spiaggia, per favore?’ The man understood, and we found ourselves at
the beach in minutes. It was lovely to cool off in the water and let the stress
of other things slip away momentarily. Again this was a brilliant time to enjoy
the company of the others, and relax as a group. Soon the draw of another ice
cream pulled me away from the water, and we wandered off, eventually making it
back to the coach.
Throughout the journeys to and
from Verona and back to the hotel, Beth had been sitting up front in the jump
seat, chatting to the driver, Francesco. In addition to conversations about
bikinis and sporting interests, came her classic line, ‘Jesus is my boyfriend’
– make of that what you will.
Our
evening session looked at Romans 6:6-7, and how we have been set free from the
power of sin.
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body
ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin
– because anyone who has died has been set free from sin. (Romans 6:6-7)
The
evening closed with some stargazing, as the night was clearer than before. As I
lay outside, on the hillside with Matt, Nadine and Sam, soaking it in, I really
began to sense how small we are in the universe, and how majestic God is,
evident through His creation. The serenity and silence of these few minutes was
special, giving me a sense of the wonder we will experience in the new
creation.
Day 6 – Monday, 8th August 2016
Today was our day for visiting
the Mountain Live adventure park in Trentino. Although I was determined not to get
talked into anything I wasn’t comfortable doing, and was reasonably aware of
the schedule for the day, I was slightly apprehensive about how things would
work out practically – particularly as I had no desire to do bridge jumping or
canyoning. On arriving at the park, Tom was almost immediately whisked away on
his paragliding. However, I needn’t have worried about myself. My first
activity was the rock climbing starter, scaling a wall of about five metres.
Melissa started off, taking the difficult route to the top in no time – though she
had previous experience from working at an adventure centre. I watched others
scale the wall, and I offered encouragement and advice (though who am I to
talk?). Andy, the most experienced climber in our group, offered useful advice
and encouragement (more qualified to do so), and I found it reassuring to hear
him talking us through it step by step. My turn eventually came, and I made a
confident start, having mentally planned the route in my head before starting
my ascent. With Andy’s powder on my hands I found my holds and pulled myself
up. I started off sure of my own abilities and falsely convincing myself that
it was easy. When pressed up flat against the rock face, however, I found it
hard to move. It was important to push up with my legs (easier than pulling
myself up with my arms). Halfway up, nerved kicked in, as I realised that I was
climbing ever higher (and that if I go up, I must also come back down). My left
leg began to twitch involuntarily (as is my custom when nervous), but
recognising this sign I tried more earnestly to push on through, somehow
scaling the most difficult part of the climb, in my opinion. I’m still unclear
on how exactly I did it. Soon enough I was on the final stretch, searching for
footholds and handholds on a comparatively smooth surface, and on the verge of
panicking for fear of slipping back. Feeling even more like James Bond (and
grateful that there wasn’t a villain waiting to sabotage my efforts), I reached
the top, to my relief, then cautiously leant backwards and let the instructor
bring me back to earth. This wasn’t without its pain. The pain and discomfort
was quickly overshadowed by the mini victory of achieving my goal and again
conquering a fear of heights. I could watch the others crazily throwing
themselves off the bridge, with a sense of satisfaction.
As time ticked on, we set off on
our river walking experience. I had quite expected to get wet, so despite the
initial temperature shock of standing in the river (remember, we had increased
in altitude), this didn’t put me off. As with the rock climbing, health and
safety seemed to be taken very casually in Italy – we were sent into the river
as we were, unprotected, while our bags went ahead of us in the van back to
base camp. We had only the prospect of a hot lunch and our own willpower to
drive us forward.
After a filling
lunch of polenta, cheese and sausage in a sort of mashed potato consistency (of
which I rather foolishly attempted seconds), the day took a more leisurely
turn. With no further adventurous activities on my to do list, I took a light
stroll with Tom and Phil through the surrounding woodland, following a very
tenuous path (if a path can be described thus). We emerged at a busy main road
and crossed over to a rather overgrown clearing, where Tom stopped to rest and
enjoy the scenery. As for Phil and myself, we soon turned around, and not
finding a route back to base camp via the road, scrambled our way back along
our unforgiving, barely discernible track. The rest of the afternoon was lazily
spent with volleyball and skimming stones by the river, while some others
chatted on the riverbank. Not being involved in these conversations myself, I
returned to camp where I lay down to wait for the evening talk to begin. This
evening’s topic was Jesus as our advocate (1 John 2:1-2 – My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if
anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father – Jesus Christ, the
Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours
but also for the sins of the whole world.), and how we could be bold in our
faith, knowing that Jesus was praying for us – what a thought! By this point
Tom had disappeared again to do his advanced rock climbing, and we soon filed
on to the coach. In Tom’s absence I took his jumper, and yet again had to
recover his hat from the instructor lady, Marie (sigh). Tom soon ran on to the
coach to join us, however, and good conversations about the day and beyond
began to flow – Tom chatting with Andrew, as I conversed with Nick, sharing
something of my testimony, and swapping suggestions of good books and films –
Nick had even seen To Serve Them All My
Days!
After a late
dinner and an emotional heartfelt thanks to us from Alex for such a lovely
holiday, we went our separate ways – some to bed, others staying up late (like
myself, writing this). Tomorrow we would be fishing, and then it would almost
be time to say our farewells. A reason to postpone my turning in. But alas, tiredness
is inevitable and I need to get my rest if I’m to land a bigger catch than Tom
tomorrow! On a serious note however, I will miss being with my newfound
friends, my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Day 7 – Tuesday, 9th
August 2016
At this morning’s
prayer meeting we prayed for each other specifically, thinking about our
individual Christian walks when we return to our normal routines. We also
continued to pray for Rob, still in hospital.
Alpine fishing was
on the agenda for today, the final day for the carousel activities. Thirteen of
us set out (I was with Tom, Phil, Simon, Jess, Abi, Micah, Matt, Nadine, Kat,
Affy, Nick and Ian) with Marco as our guide. The lake at which we would be
fishing (Lago de Ravenola) was a natural lake, filled with rainbow trout and
salmon, although the former were easier to find. Sitting at the lakeside,
accompanied by numerous cows with bells, we took it in turns with the rods. Perseverance
and patience were key, as the fish were taking a long while to bite. In time,
we were averaging one trout per person. Tom and I fished side by side – the competition
was on! Within minutes of us both praying for a catch, we were both reeling in
sizeable fish – however Tom’s second prayer for a bigger fish than mine was
overruled, as if he was being a little too cheeky. I was glad to be following
in my namesake’s footsteps, as a fellow fisherman (for a day).
Once the last of
the fish were gathered in, we started the walk back to the van. We would enjoy
our fresh fish for dinner, all the more delicious for having caught them
ourselves.
As I rested
outside the hotel, I found myself engaging in a lengthy and deep chat with
Simon – another God-given opportunity to encourage a fellow believer, share
something of my story, and sympathise over the difficulties of the holiday. God
works through all situations, and we must trust Him to grow our dependence on
Him, when we struggle to see the blessings.
Before dinner, the
locals visited the hotel to sell us fresh cheese and jams – I bought a
selection of cheeses and Italian honey, however I am unsure how long they will
last.
At dinner I was
seated with Clive and Pam, both of whom I hadn’t really spoken to during the
holiday so far, aside from exchanging a few words in passing. I connected with
Clive, and really began to see something of his passion for Oak Hall, the
Italian scenery, and us as a group – one of the warmest and closest (aided by
the secluded location, meaning we mixed more with each other). I would
certainly consider a future trip with Oak Hall, but I can’t say when that would
be.
After saying a
heartfelt thank you to the hotel staff, with a signed card, we went to our
final evening session. As well as praying for each other as we returned to our
situations tomorrow, we were encouraged to hold firm to our faith and remember
that although we would all be physically spread out, God would remain close to
each of us. How I look forward to that final day when we will celebrate
forever, with no more goodbyes.
After this I looked, and there before me was
a great multitude that no one could
count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the
throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm
branches in their hands. (Revelation 7:9)
This
Oak Hall bubble would soon burst.
The day closed
with a bonfire outside, to the backdrop of sheet lightning and pumping music. It
is a testament to our faith and fellowship with each other, that we can
celebrate together so easily, and it is with a private tear that we will part
tomorrow. We may be united in Christ, but goodbyes are never easy. One more
night in Italy.
Day 8 – Wednesday, 10th
August 2016
The day dawned
bright and clear. The storm that had been looming last night, finally erupted
at about one thirty in the morning, and Tom woke me to watch it from our
balcony. In honesty, I was barely asleep anyway. As the rain lashed down onto
the road, forming rivers, and the last embers of our bonfire died away, we
admired the power of God’s hand. As in the Chronicles
of Narnia, Aslan was considered formidable yet good, so the hand of our
creator God is powerful, but we know He’s forever for us. Having nothing to
fear, I could just enjoy watching the power of His elements. That said, I
returned to bed just after two.
After our final
morning prayer meeting and Italian breakfast (Kat won the photo competition) I returned
to the room to finish packing. The coach to the airport was due to leave at ten
fifty, so a few of us had time for a short walk along to the chalet and back.
As we walked, we
discussed our impression of the holiday, and wondered about the options for
Rob, still at hospital, who we hadn’t seen since Thursday. He may stay in Italy
for a further two weeks, although this wasn’t known for sure. The family remain
in my prayers.
After emotional
farewells in front of the hotel, our group split in two – those travelling by
coach (24 hours plus) and those, like myself, flying back to England (1.5 hours
air time). As I said previously, parting is never easy, particularly when such
bonds have been formed, but hopefully we will meet again on another such trip,
if God permits.
The airport check
in process and flight progressed without any major problems (one girl had
difficulties boarding as the airline had no record of a ticket, but this was
soon resolved). With the estimated time of arrival in England at around five o’clock,
and no further comments to make, I sat back and eased into the flight back to
home soil. The end of my adventure was in sight. Arriverderci Italia.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.