Day 5 – Wednesday, 15th May 2019
Looking back on today, with a cup of tea and Welsh cakes, having enjoyed the festival jazz evening, I am reminded that the week is half over – time is suddenly speeding up, with only one more full day with Moses and Dad, who both depart on Friday.
To
save on writing time, the day also has three main notes of interest.
This
morning saw the second of the two reading groups with Dr Laura. This time round
I didn’t get lost, and I found myself catching the ferry with Sue (Monday
evening), which helped immensely!
Sitting
with Sue for the book discussion, we keenly participated in the talk about Daphne
du Maurier’s second novel I’ll Never Be Young Again, completed in two
months! Apparently, the critics at the time were of mixed opinions – one said
that it wasn’t perfect (but it was only her second novel) but showed promise.
Someone also raised the interesting thought that I had not considered; that
Jake may have been imaginary, coming from the insecurity the main character
felt from living in his father’s shadow. However, this point is left
tantalisingly ambiguous. The discussion came to a close at about ten thirty-five,
and Laura asked me for suggestions for next year’s groups – I suggested the
novels Mary Anne and The Glass Blowers, both unfamiliar to me. It
was nice to be asked, and I really began to feel like one of the valued
regulars!
Next,
after some time idly wandering around town (and wondering whether or not to
purchase the DVD of Hitchcock’s The Birds for a tenner) and ‘browsing’
in the art gallery, Mum and Moses arrived and we set off on the Hall Walk – via
hot chocolates at the Old Ferry Inn. It was here we met two ladies, Vicky and
Lesley, out walking, who we’d been inadvertently following from place to place.
They were also going on the Hall Walk and so for the first part, until our
bench, we were aware of trailing behind them. They ended up keeping our bench
warm for us, leaving when we arrived!
Later
on the walk, just before the bridge at the halfway point (‘Pont’), Moses, in a
happy mood, inadvertently became a smelly dog whilst rolling around in a field
(of cows). This then led to my attempt to wash him in the river, which only
partly worked, as we realised (with the aid of a lively collie-cross called
Loki) that Moses had got himself into deep water and wasn’t able to get himself
out – he looked a sorry sight. I came to the rescue!
The
walk finished without further incident, and back at the cottage we eventually
got him clean.
The
evening’s jazz concert was a lot of fun. Annika was back on form this year,
dazzling us with her repertoire and range of languages (Swedish, Portuguese and
French – as well as English). The ‘collective’ also comprised of piano, double
bass and drums, leading to an enjoyable set (despite the similar feel of many
songs, possibly just a common observation in jazz music).
In
all, a hugely enjoyable and eventful day. I just wish I had more time in this
beautiful place.
Day 6 – Thursday, 16th
May 2019
The
day started with a guided tour of Daphne’s Fowey, for Mum and myself at ten
(which Moses, left behind, took exception to). I mistakenly booked myself onto
the walk for a second time, as I’d forgotten that I’d done it previously. That said,
it was still enjoyable and Dawn, the guide, weaved in various extracts from
Daphne’s novels, as we made our way through the town (from Readymoney to the
quay). Nice not to relay the information to Mum second hand, this time!
At
a quarter to one, the walk wrapped up, Mum and I headed to the yacht club to
meet Dad for a quick lunch; I needed to get to my next event at two. It was
significant as only the second time this holiday that the three of us had eaten
out together, and poignant as it would be the last time, too – Dad would leave
tomorrow, with Moses.
My
fish and chips arrived in plenty of time, so thankfully I didn’t need to rush
my meal.
When
I arrived at the town hall for Dr Laura’s talk on the anniversaries of two of
Daphne’s memorable novels – The Parasites and The House on the Strand
– I found a seat between two people, a man and a woman. To my surprise, both of
them (Steve on my right, Kate on my left) already knew who I was! It seems my
posts and comments from Facebook and the Daphne du Maurier Society group
preceded me. I was something of a known figure in the town.
To
briefly share something of Laura’s talk, it was interesting to note that Daphne
was actually very funny in her writing – humour played a big part in her
stories. This was particularly evident in The Parasites, which had some plainly
laugh-out-loud moments (but none come to mind right now). The Parasites
was also noteworthy due to the unique narrative style, uniting the thoughts of
the three main characters. I wondered if this somehow echoed Daphne’s
interactions with her siblings and parents.
The
House on the Strand was a perfect example of Daphne’s dedication to
historical accuracy, skilfully interwoven with a gripping storyline in the
present day. This talent for detail adds credibility to her tales, making them
memorable and readable.
After
the talk I had some shopping to do on the Fowey side, before I crossed the
river again. Frist stop was Bookends, the bookshop, where I was similarly
recognised by Ann, the owner. Taken aback at how known I suddenly appeared to
be (and slightly flattered) I made small talk about the festival whilst
purchasing some DVDs – The Birds and The Scapegoat, neither of
which I had seen. I couldn’t resist!
Then
onwards to the outdoor supplies shop to buy a load
of camping stuff for my upcoming Scotland holiday – some things were on offer,
but somehow I still ended up paying a lot. Enthusiasm of youth?
I
saw Sue on the ferry, a familiar face. She would be at the film tomorrow night.
After
sharing some time with Dad over a pint, we headed back to the cottage for
dinner. I also put on The Scapegoat, feeling glad of the free evening.
The film stuck close to the novel, but some scenes differed – I, personally, preferred
the novel for its suspense and detail. Later I added a comment online, leading
to further discussion about this adaptation.
After
a relaxing evening, it felt time to round things up. Reluctantly, I decided to
go to bed, knowing all too well that this would only make Friday come quicker
and hasten the end of our week together. Still, time goes on.
Day 7 – Friday, 17th May
2019
You
catch me writing this having just got back in from tonight’s movie, at just
after eleven. My second dinner (remnants of cottage pie) is before me, and more
than before, I am in a reflective mood.
The
first goodbye came in the morning, with Dad preparing to leave with Moses – he had
a church function to get back for. I was greeted by Moses in the usual way
(friendly growls, and with a tennis ball that he wouldn’t drop, playfully
running back and forth). With a free morning, as my only literature festival
event was the film this evening, I decided to walk Moses up to St Saviour’s Point,
enjoying the cool air and giving him some dedicated time. I was going to miss
the (not so) little chap. On my return I said farewell to Dad and Moses, with
all traces of them now removed from around the cottage. I saw the car out of
the gate, and watched as it disappeared around the corner. The place was
suddenly much quieter.
Meanwhile,
Mum was practising for her concert on Saturday evening, so I was left to
entertain myself for an hour or so. Braving the cool breeze, I sat outside with
my book, but soon became engrossed in another sketch – this time of the garden
and the side of the cottage, looking out to sea. I was particularly keen to
draw a building rather than just nature, as I had previously struggled with
trees and foliage. It was, amongst other things, a good exercise in perspective
(although I cheated a bit, taking a snapshot of the view on my phone, thus establishing
a border). When the wind picked up, it seemed like an appropriate moment to
stop. I was glad to have done a third drawing this holiday – a satisfying
number.
A
late lunch followed; Mum treated me (us) to a fry up, using the bacon, sausages,
potatoes, bread (fried) and single egg (scrambled) with a pot of strong tea.
Then we settled down to a Midsomer – which didn’t feel so bad because of
the grey weather outside. In this particular episode, The Sword of Guillaume,
however, I was shocked at how graphic the murders were – the prosthetics
department must’ve had fun!
After
various quiz shows (Pointless, Eggheads) Mum and I set off for
the evening film of Frenchman’s Creek in the church, due to popularity.
It was a rarity, and Dr Laura had provided her own DVD for the occasion. On
entering the church at half past seven (for eight), we found it was filling up
fast, and Mum found us a space in the middle. However, seeing Sue again, and
hoping (in vain) to join her, we lost our good seats and had to settle for some
further back. We could see clearly, but alas the sound quality was poor and
some dialogue was muffled. I thought this was due to the age of the film
(1944), but Mum said it was because of the volume. I spoke to the sound chap at
the interval, and it transpired that it was due to a poor choice of location
and a lot of empty space. That said, the sound quality improved somewhat in the
second half. The plot was easy to follow anyway, although I was disappointed not
to see Dona running barefoot through Fowey, as had been described to us on
yesterday’s walk. Despite the sound, it was still a very enjoyable evening.
As
the ferry took us back to Polruan for the last time, I noted this was my second
goodbye. The town, asleep, made the occasion slightly less of a wrench.
So
I have come full circle, and I really need to pack. Here I’ll say goodnight.
Day 8 – Saturday, 18th May
2019
Today
was our farewell to Polruan. Having packed most of my things last night, all
that remained was to tidy the place up. I was sad to leave, but with the end of
the festival in sight (finishing today), things wouldn’t have been the same had
we stayed (if that were possible). The living room was tidied, the things were
washed up in the kitchen and the rooms were checked for any last items. Once we
were both satisfied that nothing had been left behind (and I’d taken some final
pictures of the house, to aid my memories), we went up to the point to enjoy a
final view out to sea. The weather was cool, and there wasn’t much action on
the sea.
Pasties
and tomatoes bought for lunch, Mum and I made our way off onto the road,
destination Plymouth (then onwards to Totnes).
Mum
had a concert this evening, but considering our Cornwall holiday has come to an
end, I’ll close here.
It
has been a lovely week, with many memories to savour. I can’t quite believe it’s
back to London tomorrow. Long may our Cornwall holidays continue, God willing.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.