Before I get started on day 2 of my new blogging life, let me fill you in on what happened after I'd finished my initial blog last night.
As has been something of a habit recently, I planned to round off my evening with another episode of what I like to call "P&P"; that is Pride & Prejudice, not Postage & Packaging. ("ooooh, packaging!") I'd watched "S&S" a few weeks ago and got into the whole Jane Austen thing, partly because I'd never really known the plot to her novels, and partly because I secretly like this sort of thing (and proceeded to disclose this 'secret' in an online blog - clever...). It also gives me hope that romance is still out there, some day. I've been recently working my way through the 1995 verson of P&P, starring Colin Firth - who with his curly hair reminds me of Mark, who I think would fit perfectly into the 1800s! It was the last episode, and who'd've thought that Mr Darcy and Lizzie Bennett would get together in the end? I didn't see it coming at all. [Actually, for all those serious people who don't understand sarcasm, I did!] It would be amusing to see a serious version of P&P where they secretly release an alternate ending without telling anybody. Maybe it's already been done; who knows? [Incidentally, note to self: I must try and find that scene where Mr Bingley reminds me of Joel. There's something there.]
Once the post-wedding-extra-upbeat classical theme music came to a close, I decided to chat to Mark on Skype. This is always fun, as we often have funny stories to share, or paradoxes to ponder. In fact, I think Mark is the only friend I know who willingly spends time with me searching for paradoxes (although nothing involving maths), attempts to solve them, and then when faced with the answer disagrees because it's stupid. Long may it continue. Although there were no paradoxes this time, we spent much of our time watching clips on YouTube: Frasier, Tom Lehrer, and the Amateur Transplants. Quick test, does anyone know what 'Badgets' is? See Finals Fantasy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmiOhpqlLI We ended with Tom Lehrer's Elements Song. You can't beat a song which makes the Periodic Table enjoyable! I then proceded to search for Igudesman and Joo's 'Ticket to Ride' (which reminds me of me, only with marginally better singing - sarcasm again), but as it was now past midnight and I was tired, my computer decided it was tired too and decided to crash. A sign, I think...
Now onto today (ie. Tuesday). I woke up this morning without really remembering my dream. As the years pass, I'm noticing to my annoyance (as they're normally quite entertaining) that they're getting harder to recall. At least I'm sure that it wasn't a repeat of last night's adventure including zombies, myself having 'vegetarian-moments', and a conversation with Mark... sounds like a nightmare! (Maybe Mark can shed some light onto the meaning.)
At work at the hospital it was my second day in the IVU department, and as expected I practically got to run the whole of the day's worklist. This was again such an encouragement, and my confidence improved a lot. As I told my supervisor, I always enjoy weeks where I can get stuck-in, as I always seem to learn a lot more.
Then came time for my tea break. Now let me impart some wisdom to you: never attempt to use a vending machine with your eyes closed (or the equivalent). You can guarantee that the numbers you press won't be the ones you intended, so you'll end up with something you didn't want. This happened to me this morning, and rather than getting a packet of Doritos I ended up with a pack of mini-Maryland cookies. I tend to avoid eating anything chocolate-related at work for fear of making a mess, so I put them in my bag and proceeded to trek back to the machine with more change.
The day continued as normal. When lunchtime came I wandered off to my bag to get some money for the canteen, passing a door on the way with a strange notice on it. Almost paradoxically it read: 'Please ensure this door is closed at all times' giving it the function of a wall. (When is a door not a door?) Then I went to lunch.
I had a burger.
When I returned in the afternoon to continue with the patients my supervisor gave me a challenging puzzle. He told me that a while ago when I'd been working in the A&E department - which narrowed it down to the weeks of 15th February, 15th March, and 22nd March - a girl had come into IVU as a patient, saying she knew me. After asking where I was working, she said that it was just as well I wasn't working in the IVU department at the time because it might be a bit strange for me to be examining her. However, on looking through the log book I couldn't find any name I recognised. Who was the mystery patient? After a long while of searching I gave up, and assured my supervisor that I wouldn't lose sleep over it - putting his mind at ease.
Shortly afterwards I finished work, slightly earlier than usual. This is always a nice treat, particularly when the weather is as good as it is at the moment. I must remember not to breathe in any ash.
Anyway, I should probably get to making some supper. Blogging certainly works up an appetite! And for dessert I might even have those Maryland cookies...
Tuesday, 20 April 2010
Chapter Two - "A Regular Tuesday"
Labels:
amateur transplants,
dream,
elements,
IVU,
Jane Austen,
mystery,
paradox,
patient,
prejudice,
pride,
vending machine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.