Well, this morning's long awaited OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) came and went, and happily I was able to answer the majority of the questions that came up. The exam consisted as always, of ten questions, most of which involved looking at some sort of image on the computer. The initial questions were all to do with labelling the pictures - where my knowledge of anatomy came in. I could easily label the various parts of the spine and name the various procedures, and this got me off to a positive start. But there wasn't much variation; there were hardly any questions asking about things I'd spent most of my time revising, such as the radiographic technique, exposure factors and centring points. I felt this was a little disappointing, as I would've enjoyed a bit of a challenge. Now, the observant among you may have noticed that by saying majority I was unable to answer every single question confidently, so there was a bit of guessing too, but I think (as many of my friends do too) I've done well enough to pass. Time will tell.
Talking over the whole experience with friends afterwards I wondered what they made of the images on the test - the dark contrast made it almost impossible to see where some of the arrows were pointing, and they agreed there could've been a bit more variation. I thought back to my first OSCE back in '08 - why couldn't they be more clinical in style, rather than having us sitting down at computers? After all, it's very much a practical course. Well, that's enough about the exam. It was over almost as soon as it began. Now it's down to the project...
The main event of my Portfolio Week over, what else do I have in store? Another radiography Open Day to help with tomorrow, followed by the last choir rehearsal before the big concert. Then the last CU meeting of the year (I can hardly believe how fast time flies; metaphorically, you understand) on Thursday evening, and the choral concert on Friday (with a live web link to somewhere in Amsterdam, meaning we'll be visible on the internet). This means I'll have to complete my portfolio as soon as possible.
For the Bank Holiday yesterday a group of us headed over to the park to play ultimate frizbee and rounders, as is the tradition. The weather was good and lots of people came along, most being from church. We headed back to ours for a barbecue afterwards - a first for us as hosts, but the housemates did a great job preparing it all. I chipped in with some cleaning... and the eating! Once all the food had diminished, we made our way into the living room and played probably one of the biggest games of Mafia ever! What's more, I was one of the mafia - though I did accidently vote off one of my own; she had her back to me the whole time, so I didn't realise! TR gave a brilliant defence as the guy who was just sharpening his axes or out doing his archery practice (but missed), so surprisingly avoided the vote. My number was up when one of the doctors (well, nurses) turned on me, but at least I'd made a good accusation earlier on in the game - trying to get rid of someone (a fellow housemate) purely on the basis of bad fashion sense. As the evening wore on however, I was becoming more conscious of the time and how I needed an early night before the exam the next day (today). Everyone disbanded rather quickly after the mafia were caught anyway, so I didn't miss any fun.
Anyway, I should continue working on my portfolio now or I'll never get round to it! See you on the other side.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.