Monday, 21 June 2010

Chapter Ten - "Monday, Monday"

The sun is shining, and it's the longest day of the year, meaning that summer is officially here!

So why am I stuck in my room doing yet more pre-reading? I'm not sure...

Yesterday evening, in light of some brilliant news, I started texting various friends to find out their plans for the coming week. I was hoping one of them would be free on Wednesday to accept my invite, and accompany to an event which for me, depicts this time of year. Trying to guage the responses without giving the game away (and thus having to turn people down once someone had been chosen), I sent out messages like "Are you free on Wednesday", "What are you doing next week?" and in one instance, "Are you free on Wednesday? If so, I have a proposition to make."

And before you ask, no, it was to a guy. In the meantime, I found and confirmed a suitable friend, but my vagueness in the last text message prompted today's conversation, which I'll recount below. (The spelling and grammar is as it appears in the texts, but what can you expect from an English Literature student?)

Scott (SS): I may be doing some work for a guy. Tell me the proposition anyway xx

Myself (JT): No worries; things are sorted now. Hope you're doing alright anyway. Have a good summer if I don't see you.

SS: Mr thatcher im quite intrigued as to what this proposition was going to be xx

JT: Don't worry about it. It'll all become clear later in the week, if you keep up to date with my Facebook/blog! :-)

SS: Lol I don't read your blog so I guess I'll never know... xx

JT: Well I still need to update it yet, but it's at http://memoirsofathatcher.blogspot.com/ if you want to follow me... A clue about what I was going to ask is to think about the significance of these next two weeks.

SS: Something to do with the world cup? Unfortunately I am against blogs per se and will therefore not read the blog of even such an esteemable man as you. However, i'll have a look on your fb later in the week to see. xx

JT: Not the world cup. Guess again. Anyway, talk soon. And why against blogs per se? Don't tar me with the same brush! Lol

SS: I just think that someone with something worth saying will be able to do so without a blog. Plus blogs inflate egos which shouldnt necessarily be inflated. A blog is a way for bored people to read about another bored person's life in an unedited (thus usually of inferior content and grammar / style) form. The bored people then read tediums and believe them to be true or valid. The bored person whose beliefs may or may not be worthwhile then sees that other people (whose opinions usually are worth even less) like his writing and becomes self-important. Nonetheless I do love you and im sure your blog is the exception that proves the rule. Were you going to invite me to wimbledon until you found someone who hates blogs less? xx

From here on the conversation got a little bit confusing, but he came to the right conclusion. Indeed, the brilliant news I mentioned earlier was that I'd been gifted two tickets to Wednesday's Centre Court at Wimbledon! I'm so grateful - what an amazing opportunity!

Naturally I'm so excited, and looking forward to it! It'll certainly be more fun to go along with someone else, than hanging around on my own like last year. Though I really enjoyed my time before, on Day Three. See my photos here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=268317&id=777915320&l=6a56b93e92

Today, in preparation, I brought myself up to speed with the tennis and watched some of the televised matches; namely Federer v Falla, and Robson v Jankovic. I couldn't believe how badly Roger was doing at first (two sets down), and it looked like he could've been knocked out on the first day, but thankfully he turned it around in the end. The fact that he's survived Day One makes me hope for some exciting matches on Centre on Wednesday. Despite all the famous names, unfortunately I didn't see any sign this year of Nicole Vaidisova, a rising tennis star I've been following previously - she's the only player I know of who's also from '89, hence the support. Maybe another year... (or not - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicole-Vaidisova/108411095849668?v=wiki#content)

Anyway, I should go. Time is getting on, and I arranged an evening Skype with Mark.

What about the pre-reading? I'll let you know whether it paid off, tomorrow!

And then the tickets arrive.

1 comment:

  1. Not long now...

    (And the pre-reading wasn't totally necessary, but it was probably a good idea nonetheless.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.