Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Chapter Thirty - "The Results Are In"

As I watch the tennis, and huddle indoors in the dry, I feel it is an appropriate time for an update. Particularly as the past few weeks have been eventful, and certainly last week.

On Friday (24th) I went into University to find out whether I’d passed the course. I’d always stated that I was feeling quietly confident, but on that morning doubts were beginning to creep in, and I wondered how I’d fared in the May exam, and whether I had passed my clinical. Were my electives a case of “too little, too late”? Time would tell.

On arriving at the school office I found our results were pinned to the noticeboard. I warily scanned the names, until I found my name – not in the 2:1 section, as I had hoped – under 2:2. My immediate reaction was that I hadn’t done as well as my friends at other universities, who had received 2:1s. However, as I thought about it, I realised that I was being unrealistic, comparing my (vocational) course, to one like psychology or history. A 2:2 was perfectly respectable, and as my lecturer said, it showed that I had studied hard, but also had a life outside my studies. What’s more, most of my closest friends also shared the 2:2 bracket, so we were able to celebrate together. The consensus seemed to be that if it hadn’t been for our dissertation results, we would probably have 2:1s. A bit frustrating, but I was happy. I went to call and text various people (including my parents), saying thank you for the prayers, while I waited for my turn to be seen by our lecturer. I also looked at the specific module results, and found that I had actually passed the May exam which I was worrying about, albeit by only five per cent. In addition, I had passed my clinical portfolio, which was a huge relief – my experience and competence had evidently been looked on favourably. I was growing increasingly more happy with the results.

When my turn came to be seen by my lecturer (I was “number 29”) I was personally congratulated, and asked if I was satisfied with the outcome. I said that I was, and that I had already phoned my parents. I then handed in my ID cards, which was a strange feeling, and was reminded to keep the graduation ceremony date free (next May, but why so long?). Then I headed out. I had finally made it through the three years, and it was surreal to think that I was no longer a student. Due to a last minute change in venue, and time and distance factors, I had decided against attending the evening graduation celebration that one of my coursemates had organised – a decision made, very thoughtfully, on the morning. Positively however, I would be able to spend the afternoon in celebration with some of my fellow graduates, with a cake and champagne, without worrying about heading out later. One of the girls who had been praying for me, said in a text message, “CONGRATULATIONS! U must celebrate! Isn’t God good!” – I felt compelled. Thank you to all of you who have been supporting me, too!

Going back a couple of weeks before, I attended a riverboat cruise (Summer Ball) organised by the network of churches, of which mine is a part. However, it turned out that I was the only one from our congregation who was going. Because of this, I was questioning whether I should attend, but thought that I would at least get to meet new people. Thankfully, I heard that there was a familiar face – a friend from another church – and so we arranged to meet at Waterloo, and travel together. She had a few of her friends with her, too. Maybe the evening wasn’t going to be so awkward, after all!

I was introduced to the girls at the station, and was grateful to have a few more recognisable faces, to prevent any tricky “who do I talk to?” situations on the boat, later. They were, without a doubt, pleasant company throughout the evening, and I enjoyed chatting. Conversations with various other people flowed throughout the evening, also, and I enjoyed being outside later on, to enjoy the feeling of a cool breeze and the lights and sights of the river. I had a very enjoyable evening. Photos can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150635797495321.680948.777915320&l=48b4b38336

It seems that I made a good impression on my friend’s friends, and through Facebook I was invited to their church. I attended a couple of weeks later.

Back to the present, I am still in the process of looking for jobs – either temporary or within my field. I have an interview in Buckinghamshire on Thursday, so prayers would be appreciated. I intend to spend the rest of the day preparing for my journey up there tomorrow. Whilst enjoying the tennis, of course!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.