You’ll have to forgive me for not writing sooner, but life has been rather busy at the moment. I’ve had job-searches, various interviews, voluntary work (which doesn’t pay, but is good experience), and the events of moving into a new house. I shall endeavour to get through as many of these topics as possible tonight, maybe with some more thrown in for good measure – but it’s late, and I’ll have to see how things go.
Since I got my results in June, I’ve been applying for jobs like crazy online. It’s encouraging to know I must be doing something right, as I keep getting invited to interviews. Since my first interview back in May, I have visited Buckinghamshire (and spent a day exploring Oxford – unfortunately the university campuses were not open to the public), Colchester, and Cambridgeshire – spending the last interview in a lovely picturesque village, somewhat reminiscent of Midsomer county, complete with cricket on the green, and thatched cottages. For pictures, see http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150725231000321.703884.777915320&l=ab568e0ee7&type=1
Unfortunately, none of the interviews were successful, and ‘more suitable’ people were chosen. However, I have two more interviews lined up for the near future – one in London, which is exciting - and I hope to prepare well. As many of my friends have been telling me, it’s good to be gaining experience with interviews, so I have a better chance at the next one.
A few weeks ago I took to wandering around the town, looking for potential part time jobs. It soon occurred to me that it was common practice for people to advertise in shop windows, so I began to see the familiar high street in a very different light. I spent time asking around the charity shops to see if they had any paid work going. It began to feel awkward when they kept telling me that it was voluntary only, or ‘only the manager gets paid work’. However, on one such meeting I was invited to come back later in the week to be shown the till, and how to manage the shop floor. Despite being unpaid, I returned and eagerly got involved, picking up the routine very quickly. It wasn’t long before they were leaving me to manage the shop floor on my own. The following week I would end up relaying my newly-acquired skills to another volunteer (also called James, which had the potential to get very confusing), and this affirmed my knowledge, and gave me a real feeling of satisfaction in the role.
Over the last week I have been in the process of packing up my room, ready to move into my new house in North Kingston. One of the big issues for me was that I was unable to commit to a full time housing contract, because I didn’t know where I would be working in the immediate future. As a result there were amendments to be made to the original paperwork, and cost support to be sought, which took time. It was discouraging to have no job security, unlike my friends who had been offered the first jobs they were interviewed for – why couldn’t I be like them? I talked this over with the new landlord, and he said something that has stuck with me since – “You are just as secure as your friends, who know where they’re working; only you can’t see how God’s guiding you, which means you just have to trust Him”. I realise how having a Christian landlord is so uplifting in these difficult and stressful times. That, in itself, is an example of God’s provision.
In time, as I had no plans to move away, I decided to commit to the house I had lined up – three months at a time. Gradually, my old room because emptier (and significantly tidier). I was staying in London much further into the summer than I’d ever envisaged (or had done before, during my time at university). This was mainly due to the practicalities of job-hunting, but I also remained to play bass at a friend’s wedding at the start of July – the first such request I had ever had, so I wanted to accept; even though it clashed with my dad’s birthday - well, at least I’d remember the anniversary. It’s a shame that I can’t go into more detail about the event, but photos can be seen here, http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150700382440321.695407.777915320&l=8f11e9f814&type=1, and I’m happy to share more at another time.
My belongings (which seemed to have trebled since I started university), eventually found their way into my new room. However, the room was unfurnished (something of which I was unaware), so today, upon moving in, I have consigned them to the floor space for the immediate future. However, I have managed to use the mantelpiece as a shelf for books and CDs, and constructed a temporary desk for my laptop, out of a mirror resting on books, so already it is beginning to feel more like my room. Seeing the pale walls and a number of picture-nails about, I really wish that I had my two school watercolours to hang up. They would be the icing on the cake, and I can see exactly where I would put them. I should probably add here, that there’s definitely no denying that I went to a very posh school. For now, however, I will just have to make do with what I’ve got. The rest will come, in due course, and at least I have a comfortable mattress.
It would be reassuring to know that I had the security of this room for a whole year, like my other housemates, and the feeling that I could really relax. Maybe I will remain here – who knows? God has it in control, and I trust that He knows best.
There have been other events today, which if I had more time, I would love to go in to in more detail – namely the continuing trials of my bike (particularly the unsolved problem of trying to remove a bike-lock of unknown origin from the rear wheel without looking like a failed bike thief, and the ongoing case of the flat tyres), and an evening choir rehearsal - preparing for a flash-mob style commercial, encouraging people to ‘visit Wales’. (I will say now, that I learnt how to sing the Welsh National Anthem tonight, and am proud of it!)
So that’s my life up to date. Admittedly, I am beginning to miss home somewhat (hence the watercolours would be nice), and had things been more certain with a job, I might be learning to drive right now, and passing my test. Being able to drive would certainly make searching for jobs a very different endeavour.
I’m sure things will fall into place eventually, even if it’s at the eleventh hour - with such a comment, I am increasingly aware of the time. For now, I’d best get ready for bed.
And besides, I want to use that mirror...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.