Friday, 15 June 2012

Chapter Thirty Seven – "Farewell (Au Revoir)"


As always seems to be the case with my blog entries of late, I seem to have forgotten why I ended my last update with the words ‘To be continued...’ – probably something to do with the rest of my week off, but alas, it’s too far gone to remember it in enough detail to justify a full blog entry.

Moving forward, the title of this chapter stems from the fact that today was my last day as a temporary staff member in my department. It was a positive day, but touching and full of heartfelt goodbyes and best wishes. I remain confident that this will not be a definitive goodbye however, as there will no doubt be a need to send someone across the sites from time to time – hence, where I hope to come in.

The day started with a homemade sponge cake (baked by a colleague, as promised, primarily with my leaving in mind). In addition to this, there were two raspberry cheesecakes in the fridge – I had brought them in yesterday, but due to a colleague bringing in yet more cakes, it was decided it would be best to save mine for the final day itself! I seem to have gained a reputation for my love of food. As I said in my thank you card, “I also feel I am recognised for my appetite – I will miss the cakes and treats (particularly coming into work to find a slice set aside especially for me)”.  Later on, as I stood up to pour myself a cup of tea over lunch (*visualises emptying his mug over his sandwich*), the manager presented me with a bag ‘in appreciation of all I’d done’. Perhaps fittingly, it contained a box of chocolates and a box of biscuits, along with a card signed by most of the department (23).  One of my colleagues had been light-heartedly speaking of submitting a petition to get me to stay with them, rather than move to a different site. However, though I was leaving a ‘family’ of colleagues behind, I can see that this is a step in the right direction, for me at this early stage of my career. But as I have already said, this is rather an au revoir than a goodbye – as one person said, “I’m sure we’ll see you at some point”.

So it is with excitement and eager anticipation, that I start my new permanent post on Monday, in South East London. May I offer my grateful thanks to all of you who have been praying for me. God remains faithful, and has great plans for me, so I’ll keep trusting Him.

I feel I should keep this post relatively short and concise, rather than go on with my usual rambling paragraphs. As a result I will end it here, with thoughts of a very happy past six months.  The end of an era.

And this time, not knowing when my next post will come, I will be sure not to leave you hanging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.