Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Chapter Thirty Six - "A Day To Remember"


(NB. This blog entry was originally meant to be published on the evening of Wednesday, 16th May 2012)

As I write this update, you find me about halfway through my week of annual leave. I haven’t been spending my time lazing around, however – Tuesday (15th) was my long awaited graduation, and today I’ve had a job interview with St George’s. So, it’s been a busy week so far, but hopefully it’ll be slightly less stressful from now on; just a job meeting tomorrow morning, and a cousin’s Christening on Saturday.

I originally planned to recount all of this week’s exploits in one post, but due to time constraints, I will split it up and focus solely on the Graduation ceremony for now.

On Tuesday morning I made my way, with my parents, to the Royal Festival Hall. It was pouring with rain, but my spirits weren’t dampened (sorry, bad pun). They tucked into breakfast in the cafeteria while I registered, and proceeded with my robing. I felt privileged to be wearing a gold hood (representing St George’s University), and with my newly acquired University of London tie (a graduation present) I certainly looked the part. As one of the ladies made sure I was dressed correctly, I was reminded not to remove the tag in the gown – or else I would have to ‘buy’ the outfit! The mortar board did wonders for my posture – I was afraid that the slightest movement would cause it to fall from my head. I was offered a hair clip to keep it in place. I soon decided against it, however, resolving to attempt to balance it as best I could, maintaining a certain degree of manliness. I got the professional graduation photo out of the way early, and learnt three new things: (1) ‘champagne’ may well be better than ‘cheese’, (2) the certificate you hold is actually a tube of plastic with a ribbon, and (3) it costs £8 for delivery of my graduation photos – but despite the cost, it’s worth it.

I eventually took my seat in the auditorium, and enjoyed listening to the choir singing their introductory piece. I found myself miming along with them, and had fond memories of singing during previous years, and couldn’t help wondering if they would realise when my turn came to approach the stage. It was all a bit of a blur when I stepped out, and I didn’t dare look out towards the crowd, so I can’t be sure what the reaction was. Mum later told me she was ‘about to burst’ – a proud moment. On exiting the hall, before returning to my seat (L40), I was given a hard ‘do not bend’ envelope. However, on opening it, it merely consisted of a bin badge (nice and shiny) and a sheet saying ‘Information about your award certificate’, and that it should have already been posted to me; I couldn’t help wishing it had been something more. My personal graduation presents were lovely, though, and consisted of a personalised Swiss Army Knife (for my upcoming camping adventures), my aforementioned University of London tie, a half-engraved ‘Jam’ ballpoint pen (due unfortunately to ill-health on the part of the engraver), and a three dimensional photo display frame for my graduation pictures.

After the ceremony I made a point of greeting David, the Director of Music. He wished me a very happy rest of my day and many congratulations, and seemed thrilled to see me again. It was strange not to be singing with the Chorus this time round, and though there was the surprise finale (well, a surprise to everyone but myself) we didn’t end up throwing our hats into the air as was customary. Instead, I attempted to find my friends for photographs afterwards to recreate that moment, but everyone had gone their separate ways and got lost in the crowd. I never did get that shot.

I enjoyed a celebratory pizza with my family afterwards, in the evening. There is plenty more I could say about the day, but due to the time, and a strong desire to get to bed, I feel compelled to leave it here.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.