Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Chapter Sixty One - "Special Guests"


Tonight was a night like no other. I finished work early, to get to the flashmob - the culmination of four back-to-back days with the NHS Choir (although tonight we were really there as individuals). I got to Bank just before six, but as the venue, the posh new Ned hotel,  didn't open to us until 8pm I had a lot of time to spare (actually, our event prep started at 9.30pm). Having no other plans, I found the nearest Costa and settled down with my book, and a large mug of chai and waited for Maz to arrive - he'd suggested dinner before heading to the hotel.

Two hours later, and having nursed my tea and cake for long enough, whilst educating myself about the dangers of strychnine and thallium (reading a book about Agatha Christie's poisons) I heard that Maz had had a wardrobe setback and would be running late. Therefore, as the sole member of our choir, I decided to visit the hotel early and suss out the nature of the 'refreshments' and feed it back to the others who were on their way. The first task, however, was to gain access.

This task proved more difficult than I has anticipated, even when following the instructions. The security guard wasn't expecting us and redirected me to another door; those at the other door then redirected me to the first door - thankfully by this time Adrian, the guard, had gone. I had also picked up Errol, a familiar face, one of the tenors. Now we got straight in.

On arrival in the Tapestry Room, where we had rehearsed on Sunday evening, I was shown to a huge buffet, and promptly sent photos over to the others. A young lady, Julia, who I'd met on Sunday also reintroduced herself to me and told me a bit about her choir 'Voce'. It was good to speak to people outside my group, and it was nice to make some contacts. Dan, a friend of Phil's (our musical director - not there tonight) was also a familiar face, and a fellow bass to latch on to.

Conversations continued until Gareth Malone called us together for a quick rehearsal. I managed without music, and as with Monday's event (see my last blog post) I felt I knew it better than I was expecting. Or else I knew how to blend in!

When the time came for us to file down the stairs to the event, just after 10pm, I found myself and Dan were the only basses - nay, the only males - in our group. Plus, due to a last minute adjustment I was now entering the room at an unfamiliar place. I entered last, bringing the bass at the rear as instructed, as there were only the two of us. However, I found myself pushing for space, and with the level of background noise, my cues and careful planning became obsolete and I just sang along as best as I could. Indistinguishable from the crowd (it was too dark and busy for me to see any famous faces) I decided to climb on a table to be seen and survey the scene. Seeing the others doing likewise was empowering, and gave me the drive I needed. I could also see Zoe and Katie doing the same a few tables in front! This was what it was all about. The guests joined in, completely taken by surprise, and phone cameras were out everywhere! A guy even climbed on to the table in front of me (a tad frustrating), but I peered around him and kept up my volume. We progressed through the medley much quicker than expected, and soon it was the finale, 'Hey Jude', which everyone sang together - guests and choirs alike. By this time people had got the idea. We left to rapturous applause.

Somewhat overwhelmed and filled with adrenaline, we made our way back to our room. Alas, we were unable to enjoy the party. But I expect we'll hear much more about our impact on the social media in the next few days. The intricate timings may not have mattered in the end, but we all undoubtedly had a wonderful time and a memorable experience.

All that remained was the journey home. I followed Zoe and Tom for the first part, not wishing to get lost. Also, keenly aware of the fact I've got work tomorrow, I'm drafting this out as I'm waiting at the bus stop - in my absent mindedness I got off my previous bus too early and am having to catch another. It's now 20 minutes past midnight and I'm tired. A good place to stop. I think you get the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.