Day 1 – Saturday, 6th May 2017
Looking back
over the day, it has been a good start to the holiday, although the grey weather
left something to be desired! As I write this, I am sat at the dining table at
Hoe Cottage, with the dog at my feet. Let me reflect on how I got here.
After an
early rise at seven, I finished packing for my Cornish holiday. I had an extra
bag to carry, with the graduation photo and frame for my parents, making the
total up to four bags – I’ve never found it easy to pack light! At nine I
started for the station, somehow managing to drag all my luggage along with me;
I maintain that it’s the initial walk to the station that’s the hardest part of
the whole journey. I was happier when I was well on my way to Paddington, and I
could begin to rest.
At about
quarter to eleven I boarded the Plymouth train. After leaving my larger bags in
the rack by the carriage door (out of sight – something that always makes me
slightly uneasy) I found my seat, D24. I wondered who would be sitting next to
me, and hoped a pleasant conversation might ensue (as has happened in the
past). However, my companion was not a pretty young lady (as I had secretly
hoped) or a kind, motherly figure, but a large, bald, heavyset man with the
build of a rugby player/nightclub bouncer. He seemed to be something of a slave
to his smartphone, checking his messages every few minutes, and as such,
conversation was not forthcoming. However, I realised I was hardly one to
judge, as Mum called to offer me a new phone (I recently smashed mine last
Monday at the church away day). As it turned out however, neither model we
discussed (the J8 or S7) was in stock, so my hopes were dashed. The rest of the
journey passed in ‘silence’ (used loosely – my companion was now snoring
heavily), and I arrived on time at two thirty.
The drive to
Polruan with Dad was smooth, and aside from the occasional missed turning,
uneventful. Moses made a fuss of me as expected, and when we eventually got to
the cottage he couldn’t contain himself any longer. Excitement at seeing me and
being back in Cornwall was apparently too much, and he spent the first five or
ten minutes running in circles on the lawn!
Once the car
was unloaded and the beds made up, the three of us (a boys’ outing, if you
like) ventured off to the Russell Inn for a pint to see in the holiday week.
The weather had not improved – it was now drizzling. Moses showed signs of
restlessness, which we found hard to understand, but I put it down to the load
of new experiences and holiday excitement. After about forty five minutes or so
we headed back to the cottage. I wanted to catch Doctor Who and Casualty.
As it
happened, I was so muddled with all the various TV remotes that when the time
came I couldn’t watch Doctor Who anyway – I had got the TV to work, but I just
couldn’t change the channel. I didn’t much fancy Take Me Out, which was all I
could get, so I turned the TV off, settling on iPlayer later. (I eventually
changed the channel, but I still wasn’t totally sure how I did it. I managed to
catch Casualty. The DVD function still eludes me though.)
A relaxing
evening passed, although Moses remained restless.
Tomorrow
would see the start of the Literary Festival events, with a book club review of
The Scapegoat, before lunch at the Lugger. Mum would also be arriving that
night at midnight.
But for now,
memories and anticipation mingled together, and I closed the day, pleased to be
once more in Polruan, our home from home.
Day 2 – Sunday, 7th May 2017
This morning,
being a Sunday, I was glad to spend time in quiet contemplation of the Word.
Dad was already listening to a morning service on Radio 4, from Belfast, so I
reflected on it as I enjoyed my bacon sandwiches. The theme was Jesus as the
good shepherd, looking in part at Psalm 23. As the programme drew to a close we
had a short moment of prayer, asking for God’s kindness to those on our hearts,
and trusting that he hears us.
At ten I left
the cottage for the reading group meeting at the Fowey Hotel – my first
festival event, and also my first time inside the grand hotel (which, I was
later told, did the best lunches around, for a reasonable price). The subject
was The Scapegoat, a 1957 novel by Daphne du Maurier. The meeting was led by Dr
Laura Varnam, from Oxford (a returning presence at the festival, and so I
discovered, a passionate du Maurier aficionado). As I had finished reading this
novel following my second to last trip (probably 2015), I couldn’t resist
coming along to add my thoughts. Laura was also pleased to see some younger
faces – I was the youngest by quite a way. I sat next to a local lady called
Chris. What fascinated me most about the group of people gathered to discuss,
was the enormous variety in the publications of The Scapegoat brought along.
Mine, a modern Virago edition from 2014, was somewhat dwarfed by older,
hardback copies. I couldn’t help comparing the scene to a Bible study, where
everyone would bring their own copy, ready to provide their own insight on a
particular passage.
Dr Laura
asked us questions as to the significance of certain events in the novel. I
realised just how complex the story was, and how intricate the personalities
and characters were, as if they were real people with real histories (this was
probably true in many respects, as du Maurier drew inspiration from her own
family members and experiences).
Throughout
the discussion a phone would go off (the lady apologised profusely that she
couldn’t turn it off); slightly distracting though I tried to ignore it. After
a while, however, someone did the best thing – found the off switch!
But I
digress. I had always viewed the book as a story of one man taking on another’s
identity (resignedly at first, but then prepared to kill for it by the end) so
we gradually see his change in character. What Laura now suggested was whether
the new persona was in fact another side of the man’s character, and not merely
a façade. And who was the real scapegoat? At this point we got onto slightly
theological grounds over the use of the language, and I got a glimpse into
Daphne du Maurier’s own feelings on religion, and particularly the church and
its view of sin – which, alas, she strongly disagreed with.
Soon the hour
passed, though there was probably a lot more to be said. As I went to say thank
you to Laura, a familiar face introduced himself – Philip (and his wife Pam),
who I’d met last year. They were off to another event, but I was returning to
Polruan for lunch with Dad. Yes, I would’ve liked to have done more events, but
I was aware that this was also a family holiday, and I was keen to strike a
balance. After chatting with Laura about her final thoughts and her favourite
works, I left, saying I’d see her tomorrow at her storytime.
Prior to the
reading group I had headed to the box office to get a refund on my tickets, as
I had made a booking error online. Seven pounds richer, I wondered what novels
were next for my reading list. From Dr Laura and the opinions of others at the
group, I will probably put The Flight of the Falcon on my list.
Roast lunch
with Dad was a treat, and we made small talk about my work. Dad posed our
waitress, Olivia, a question about melon and port (a winning combination,
apparently) as she was studying catering. A strange question perhaps, but it
made her smile.
With time to
spare in the afternoon, and no real plans, I decided to take Moses for the Hall
Walk. He remained well behaved throughout, although he was rather shy when it
came to certain people. Slightly scared by the Bodinnick car ferry, he prepared
to hide behind me! Even though the sights and sounds (and smells) were all
incredibly familiar, there was a feeling of freedom in walking alone with
Moses. I spent time on ‘our’ bench, and reflected on life, before moving on.
Walking back
through Fowey, I remembered how things were on previous holidays – one shop was
now another; staying in the Old Police House; relaxing at Pinky’s. I got all
nostalgic. The dynamic would change when Mum joined me, from tomorrow. But it
was nice to have time to myself, just for now. Before I returned on the
passenger ferry I crossed paths with Jill, Anne and Eileen, who I’d seen last
year. I hope to see them again over the course of the week. Time will tell.
The evening
was spent lazily, and Moses enjoyed a bone from dinner. The WiFi wouldn’t be
fixed till tomorrow morning, so Doctor Who catch up would have to wait. There
were already plenty of other things I could do. Hopefully I’d be awake to
welcome Mum at midnight.
Day 3 – Monday, 8th May 2017
It’s late
now, and I’ve just got back from a very enjoyable jazz evening. But more on
that in due course. First, a quick run through of the rest of my day.
Mum arrived
around midnight, and after conversation (and much fuss from Moses) it wasn’t
until one in the morning that I actually got to sleep.
Today’s
festival events (for me) weren’t due to start until two in the afternoon, so a
leisurely morning was in store. Mum and I planned to take Moses on the Hall
Walk at around ten, thus arriving in Fowey just in time for my first event – a talk
on Castle Dor.
Before we
left, I gave Mum and Dad a gift, my graduation photo from Canterbury – a memento
of a hard won diploma, and no doubt a source of pride. Mum commented that in
the stage photograph I wasn’t looking at the Dean, rather smiling at the camera
instead; I reassured her that I did remember to say thank you, and didn’t
completely ignore him!
The Hall Walk
was enjoyable, and I valued the company from Mum this time round. I reflected
that although there may be many lovely walks in this part of Cornwall,
something about the old, familiar paths of this one just keep bringing us back,
and there’s still nothing quite like it. Moses was thoroughly excited by the
experience and was his usual energetic self throughout. As we stopped for a
break at Pont (the halfway bridge) and I tucked in to my pasty, he occupied
himself by running after every dog that came by, making a bit of a nuisance of
himself – not that we minded!
At Fowey we
went our separate ways, as it was approaching two. Mum and Moses headed bac to
the cottage, and I made for the talk on Castle Dor, by Polly Gregson – looking at
Daphne’s experience of taking over Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch’s work. There was a
lot of material, and Polly had certainly done her research. It posed the
question whether it was right of Daphne du Maurier to have finished Q’s work,
considering he never wanted it published. It was a brave endeavour, and helped
Daphne develop as a writer. Upon closing, I asked the question about where
Daphne actually took over Q’s writing, and was surprised at the answer, rather
nearer the end of the book than I was expecting. However, Polly said she’d
email me to clarify the point. Rather appropriately, the character Monsieur
Ledru comments that “one’s work is always finished by another” (p.70).
It was forty
five minutes before Mum was due to return to the story time with Laura Varnam,
so I spent the time browsing the box office bookshop, buying my latest du
Maurier books. As well as The Flight of the Falcon I chose her biography (the
festival caused me to think of her background) and The Glassblowers (either
that or Mary Anne). I was undecided about a short stories collection, but I
thought I’d wait until after Dr Laura’s reading.
As it
happened, the subject was not so much short stories, as last year, but Rebecca,
as this was a theme of this year’s festival. As such, we were treated to
extracts from Rebecca, and the author’s personal thoughts. I found it a bit
hard to focus and sought a strong black coffee as soon as possible.
This came
with a light dinner in a cosy tea room, a new venture for us. As Dad wasn’t
joining us, the two of us settled down to our light dinner – I had salmon and
scrambled eggs (a win) – and conversation about topics ranging from work, to
finances and politics. We were allowed to stay till closing. I enjoyed the
chance to discuss the things on my mind, and benefitting from motherly wisdom.
I stayed on
for an evening of jazz, and Mum returned to the cottage. However, as I sat on
the quay, passing time with my book, I suddenly realised I hadn’t got the
ticket. I couldn’t phone Mum, as my phone had now practically ceased to send
texts or calls, saying there was no coverage or signal, when there clearly was.
I really needed a new phone, as much as I don’t like being dominated by
technology.
I needn’t
have worried, as I got in to the concert with no trouble. The jazz event was in
honour of Ella Fitzgerald, on her 100th birthday (or thereabouts).
The music was amazing, and I spoke to the bassist afterwards, asking how he
played so fast (‘fingers like Tom and Jerry’) – a case of practice and feeling
the music. He wished me a pleasant week, as I rushed off for the ferry, not
wishing to be left behind.
So, I’m back
in my room. This concludes another full day. More music to come tomorrow, as
Tuesday brings a choir rehearsal and an evening performance of my own…
Day 4 – Tuesday, 9th May 2017
Today was a musical
day. After finishing writing postcards I left for the choral workshop with Andy
Virr. I had particularly enjoyed this event last year, and was especially keen
to participate this year as I was now part of a choir.
On arriving
at the church I met Patrick and Alan, with whom I had sung last year. As
before, they were very glad to see me again, and I was happy not to disappoint.
Andy also welcomed me back, and was very interested to hear that I was part of
the NHS Choir, and had sung with Gareth Malone!
Amongst the
new faces were two American students, Claire (soprano) and Ellie (alto),
visiting Fowey as part of a larger group, seemingly helping with the running of
the festival in some way. I think I’d seen their group wandering around town yesterday.
I was grateful for Ellie’s loud singing as we sang our first new song, The Lord
is my Shepherd, as from The Vicar of Dibley – lost on our American friends.
With no specific male parts, the altos and men were sharing a line for this.
Our other songs was Drop Drop Slow Tears, having a reasonably simple tune. This
was the only one we would be singing at this evening’s concert. Although,
personally, I reckon we were almost there with The Lord is my Shepherd –
perhaps Andy thought it would be too much, though.
I said
farewell to Andy and the others, as I left the church for an afternoon walk;
Mum had just arrived with Moses.
On our was
through town we stopped by a children’s shop, where we saw Bella again – pur hostess
on the couple of occasions that Mum and I had stayed at the Bed and Breakfast
in Polruan, Hormond House, during our time without a dog (after Spring had
gone). I was glad she was doing well, and seeing her reminded me of some happy
memories, as she has a lovely house.
Mum and I did
the Hall Walk in reverse this time round, in keeping with the day’s events. We
had lunch at ‘our’ bench, but it was at the bridge (Pont), that we really
relaxed, reading our books. Moses let off a lot of energy, running after
everything and doing his thing of digging in the stream, though I’m still
unsure what he was looking for. After much growling, jumping and bounding
around from Moses, we moved on, eventually returning to the cottage for a
relaxing afternoon. We were all rather tired out.
Dad couldn’t
make it to the concert this evening, unfortunately, so I had a spare ticket
going. On arrival at the church I asked about refunding for a ticket,
pretending I’d bought it accidentally for myself, and was promptly given a
tenner by a lady who effectively bought it off me!
We, the
scratch choir, were singing our piece after the interval, so I was able to sit
with Mum for the first half of the programme. At our half time run through, my
confidence fell however, as I lost my notes and struggled with the intervals. I
hoped we’d sound alright, aware that we can be over critical of ourselves. When
the time came, Andy mentioned that there was a member of the NHS Choir amongst
the festival singers. No pressure then.
As it
happened, I think I misheard my starting note, but thankfully the others
covered up well, so I wasn’t noticeable. For such a seemingly simple piece, I
couldn’t help thinking that last year’s performance went much more smoothly. I
think I may have panicked a bit tonight, but everyone was so kind! Now I was
able to enjoy the rest of the evening, knowing my performance was done. But now
I felt I may have become something of a minor celebrity. Watch this space.
For now, a
hot drink and a warm bed awaits.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.