Monday, 25 June 2018

Chapter Seventy Three – “Of Cornwall and Cumbria: Part One”


Day 1 – Saturday, 12th May 2018

It felt strange to be packing for two very different holidays back to back, but the day had finally arrived. I woke up early with a sense of joy at having a fortnight off – ending with a bank holiday Monday, no less!
            In a couple of hours, final packing checks done, I set off to the station to head into central, and then on to Paddington. On the first train, going to Waterloo, I spied an advert – it was for British Airways but it rang true for me too, ‘Two weeks of sheer, unadulterated fun. We take it very seriously.’ I couldn’t agree more!
            I arrived at Paddington, and the holiday mood hit me – I was suddenly surrounded by likeminded people, all dressed casually and ready for their various holidays. There was an almost tangible sense of optimism and anticipation.  Having correctly predicted the platform number (3), I boarded my 10:03 train to Plymouth.
            The train eventually arrived at Plymouth on time, just after one, and once I’d said hello to Dad and Moses, we started off to Polruan.
Once we arrived at the cottage, our home from home, the feeling of being back at Hoe took some time to sink in. As I helped unload the car, Moses rolled around on the lawn, evidently recognising our location. And what beautiful weather we had!
Gradually, as I walked through the house, I noticed subtle changes. The armchairs had been changed, the painting above the hearth was no longer a forest scene but a tree in a garden or field. I was glad to see my lady was still there on the back wall – a figure I’d grown fond of. Perhaps the most striking change was in the bathroom – the bath was gone, and now a glass-fronted shower cubicle stood, making the room feel very modern and open-plan. Though I appreciated the need for modernity, I was sad to think the times of relaxing in the tub were over, and our familiar surroundings were becoming less so.
Throwing a new toy for Moses (a ‘Nerf Dog’ toy), I sat outside on the bench and started by new Daphne du Maurier biography, which you may recall I bought last year. I was hooked from the start, unsurprisingly these days, before I came in for dinner (and tea and Welsh cakes). I would be going to a talk in Fowey later – my first festival event, with John Nettles (star of Bergerac and Midsomer Murders).
Before that we faced a slight problem – the black bag we thought contained bed linen actually contained rubbish. So, in desperate hope of rectifying the situation, I rushed out early to the cottage offices. Predictably, they were locked, so I popped a note through the door and gave them a phone call. Problem solved.
Onwards to St Fimbarrus Church to hear John Nettles. Despite arriving at quarter pasts seven for an eight o’clock start, the church was packed. I found a space next to a local lady, Carol, and her husband Malcolm. Scanning the pews, it was quite possible I was the youngest in there, alas.
John spoke about his career, from his beginnings in the Royal Shakespeare Company alongside Judi Dench and Patrick Stewart, to Bergerac and Midsomer Murders. He amused us with his anecdotes about the Queen watching Midsomer – ‘I wouldn’t want to live in Midsomer’ (to which came the reply, ‘No ma’am, you’d be dead’) – and how the French dubbing made his character sound sexy, raising the French ratings dramatically. I laughed at the thought that the Russians were such keen fans of Midsomer Murders purely because they thought it typically British, and a documentary. Slight confusion. He ended with his own insights into the occupation of the Channel Islands in World War 2, referring to his most recent book, stemming from his time filming Bergerac on location there. There were stories of such cruelty and brutality, but it felt good to be enlightened, particularly as I’m no historian.
On returning to the house I made up the beds and settled down to write this account, whilst wondering what tomorrow had in store – not least Mum’s arrival.


Day 2 – Sunday, 13th May 2018

            Looking back over the day, it has been lazy and restful, free from festival activities (our next such day would be Thursday, but that’s a way off).
            Dad and I started off by going to the church service in Fowey, at eleven. As I read over the service sheet, I rather surprisingly noticed that one of the songs, ‘Through all life’s sorrows and despairs’, came from Christ Church Mayfair – we sang it occasionally in London. After speaking to the minister, Philip de Grey-Warter, I discovered he knew Richard Coekin, Rupert Standring and the Co-Mission network. So their influence reaches to deepest Cornwall. It’s a small world! (There was even a brief plug for a recent book published by the Good Book Company, making it feel just like London again!) The sermon was an exposition of 1 Corinthians 15:50-58, reminding us of our calling to share the gospel, and reinforcing my quiet time in Romans 1.
            Afterwards we went to the Lugger for lunch, where we met Mum, who’d recently arrived. We enjoyed a roast lunch together and good conversation.
            The weather was beginning to turn cooler as Mum and I headed back up to the cottage (Dad having left earlier), so the idea of a walk with Moses was off the table. Instead we settled on relaxing with our respective books, but were soon snoozing, having lost interest. Meanwhile Moses was restless and finding it difficult to settle.
            Later on, realising that reading was too much effort, I put on a Midsomer Murders to pass the time. However, this didn’t last long as Mum suggested we make the most of the now bright and sunny weather – it seemed a shame to let it pass us by. So we sat outside and took up our popular pastime of cards – Rummy, with our family rules.
            Seven o’clock was now approaching, and having just lost at cards, I thought it good to change our focus. Mum wanted to catch the final of Young Musician of the Year 2018, so we tried watching it live as we sat outside. However, when it started buffering every few minutes we thought it better to turn on the TV set, and somewhat reluctantly returned inside. The next couple of hours were passed in enjoyment of music (cello, saxophone and piano) – I was amazed at how fast the young pianist, Lauren, could play, and for memory. It came as no surprise when se was awarded the trophy.
            After a TV dinner, I rounded off the night with the conclusion of my earlier episode of Midsomer, although my concentration at this point wasn’t great, and I found myself dropping off.
            Having written this brief account it is time for bed. Tomorrow will start off with a guided walk round Bodinnick, as we return once more to the world of literature and arts. Until then.


Day 3 – Monday, 14th May 2018

            This morning Mum and I set off for our first festival event together, the ‘Bodinnick Byways’ walk, where we discovered something of the little known past of this ferry port village – somewhere we had only ever passed through on our way round on the Hall Walk.
            It was Mum’s thinking that driving to Bodinnick would be preferable to walking, and having to pay to cross two ferries. However, when we arrived, we discovered the problem of parking – not enough roadside space and a very steep incline. Consequently the effort of reversing the car up the hill resulted in smoke and a strong smell of burning rubber – something we would have to address later.
            After starting off with tea and cake in the familiar Old Ferry Inn, we walked across the road to St John’s church. After the second world war, for want of a place of worship, these stables were converted into a church, though you wouldn’t necessarily realise it at first. For the first service, people had to bring their own chairs!
            Although our guide, Helen, went into a lot of detail about the history of Bodinnick, for the sake of this account, we walked onto the Hall Walk, through Hall Farm (avoiding the bull), and appreciated the ruins of Hall Chapel. Helen then concluded our tour as we looked across to Ferryside, Daphne du Maurier’s old house, sharing some of her family history and her own claim to fame as Jane Slade’s great granddaughter (Jane Slade being the inspiration for Janet Coombe in Daphne’s The Loving Spirit). Also worth noting was that during the war, Ferryside, previously a shipyard, launched just one warship, rather amusingly named HMS Primrose.
            As I said, there’s much more I could share, but time is against me, so I shall endeavour to record these interesting facts elsewhere. Mum and I had a very enjoyable morning, and we both learned a lot.
            Next on our day’s agenda was getting the car sorted – Mum was convinced it was a clutch problem. After driving to a ‘garage’ (we had given a lady, Skye, a lift up Polruan to this garage earlier on) to find that it was actually a ‘garage rental’ place, we headed over to Fowey to find a place that had offered to help us. However, we couldn’t find the right turning and ended up driving towards St Austell, much to our frustration. As it happened, after asking around, we wound up at a proper garage in nearby Par, where the cause of the problem was revealed. However, they were unable to fix it.
            Reassured that this was a problem that could wait for a week, we left – Mum headed back to the cottage, and I spent the afternoon in Fowey, making the most of not having Moses with me.
            After going hat shopping, I made my way to the yacht club (festival bookshop) for a bite to eat and a chance to relax with my book. I also added The King’s General to my collection. Pleasantly, Laura, the girl behind the bar, recognised me from last year (now promoted to bar manager), and I settled down on the terrace with a lime and lemonade and a bowl of chips prepared especially! There was something about being out by myself which I relished, and still having the whole week ahead of me, I began to feel positive and at ease. Time was passing pleasingly slowly.
            That said however, I wanted to return to the cottage before my next event at six, so after an hour or so of my book I decided to move off back to Polruan.
            At about quarter past five I left for my event, a talk by Cornish wildlife cameraman Ian McCarthy. Due to the busyness of the passenger ferry, I couldn’t get on immediately, and waiting for another ferry, with the clock ticking on, meant it was very difficult finding seats on arriving at the church. Others were in a similar predicament, so we were encouraged to bunch up together – I sat next to Jane, a retired nurse, and Lynne.
            We watched a very personal documentary with some close up footage of peregrine falcons, kingfishers and bats (amongst other wildlife) and shared in some of Ian’s experiences. It was a fascinating and captivating film, but without seeing it for yourself, my comments would lose their significance. It is enough to say I enjoyed it hugely.
            Before returning I bought some fish and chips (after failing to buy some in the Indian restaurant – I tell you it was listed under ‘English comfort food’, honest!), and caught the next ferry over. It was rather cold by now, and I had envisaged spending the last hours writing my journal and formulating the wording for my postcards, which I had bought earlier, with various people in mind. However, due to the now late hour the postcards will have to wait till tomorrow, when I can better focus.
            Tomorrow sees a Rebecca walk in the morning and the concert in the evening – alas, no scratch choir this year.


Day 4 – Tuesday, 15th May 2018

            This morning was different to the morning I had originally envisaged. Shortly after finishing my account last night I researched the meeting place for today’s Rebecca walk, and discovered Hambland’s car park was actually rather further inland than I realised, and inaccessible by public transport. Realising that the event would require an early start and a mid-afternoon finish I decided to send an email to the festival office saying I would unfortunately have to drop out – I hadn’t considered logistics enough. This morning I got a call, but not recognising the number I ignored it and turned my phone to silent. It turned out to be Helen, our guide from yesterday, offering to give me a lift. By the time I realised this it was far too late, and I’d resolved to do our usual Hall Walk with Mum and Moses (I hadn’t done it yet this holiday, and figured Moses would enjoy it). This was a family holiday, after all.
            As Mum and I left for the walk, I really hoped I’d made the right decision, particularly as I had come so close to going. I felt disappointed that the Rebecca walk would have to wait for another year at least. But I had made my decision, and there was nothing more to be done. I resolved to enjoy the Hall Walk.
            As we walked, Mum and I made conversation, talking about the usual things – relationships coming up as expected, with a sigh.
            Moses loved the walk, and I slowly came to appreciate it too, noting how beautiful and familiar it was – and to think if I was over with the others, I’d miss this. We stopped at the bridge and later at our favourite bench, and enjoyed our books and sausage rolls. By now I was rather absorbed in Daphne du Maurier’s biography – she had just arrived in France.
            Mum felt much fitter this year, to her surprise, and we both knew the walk would do us good. However we were puzzled that our walk, which we’d always taken to be five miles, was perhaps only three. Oh well, it will always be five to us!
            Wandering through Fowey, we stopped off by the food trailer in the Lifeboat car park (as I think of it), where I enjoyed Thai chili fish cakes – unusual yet delicious!
            We also popped in to Bella’s shop to say hi, before Mum headed off to the yacht club and I took a browse in Bookends, the second hand book shop. I presented a selection of ten Daphne du Maurier postcards at the till, but when I enquired about whether I could drop off my old copy of Jamaica Inn, the shopkeeper agreed a trade, and I left the shop without paying – how trusting people are. With a smile and a sense of satisfaction I joined Mum at the yacht club.
            After a short continuation with our respective books, and cool glasses of lime, we returned to the cottage, enjoyed dinner and prepared for the evening’s concert – the choir and brass band concert in the church, ‘Music for a Royal Occasion’ – a sell-out, apparently. It was during this time that I finished writing my postcards.
            All correspondence written and posted, we made it to Fowey and joined the long queue outside the church. On entering, we found space on the rearmost pew, which still offered a good view. On the whole it was an enjoyable concert, but I found it hard to hear the words, particularly when the choirs sang alongside the brass. Also, the rendition of ‘And So It Goes’ was not completely to my taste, but I’m biased, singing it with my own choir in London, and already having ideas of how I felt it should be done properly. Still, there were rousing tunes like ‘Dambusters’, ‘I Vow to Thee My Country’, and ‘Amazing Grace’, amongst others.
            The evening ended with a catch up of tonight’s Holby City with Mum, before writing up this reflection.
            What will tomorrow bring?


Day 5 – Wednesday, 16th May 2018

            Today had all the makings of another lazy day. It was grey and damp outside, and Mum and I were less keen on going on a long walk (Mum had originally suggested going to Lansallos with Moses), than relaxing at the cottage with our books. Admittedly, this made sense as tomorrow was a completely free day for us to be more adventurous; this evening I had a few events.
            Dad disappeared out to Fowey on an errand, and so Mum and I took the opportunity to share a quiet time in the Word, looking at the end section of Romans 1, and thinking about being careful not to put other things before God. It was a valuable time to reflect on our own personal walks, and pray together, presenting our concerns to the Lord.
            I was keen to head over to Fowey myself to make good on my trade with the second hand bookshop, so, Jamaica Inn under my arm, I set out for the ferry – now slightly more expensive. While over in Fowey I met with Dad, and we enjoyed a drink together in the yacht club.
            Having purchased a Cornish pasty and fabric conditioner (a delicious combination) I made my way back to the cottage for lunch, leaving Dad to his own plans.
            As the afternoon passed by, Moses was showing signs of boredom – sulking in his basket. I was about to put Star Trek on, when Mum suggested we could walk Moses up to the headland. So we dressed up and braved the rain, not actually as bad as all that. St Saviour’s Point offered a postcard vista looking out to sea, although there wasn’t much activity on the water.
            The first of my two festival events was ‘Rebecca at 80’, a talk with Dr Laura Varnam, celebrating 80 years since Daphne du Maurier wrote this gothic tale. After sharing her own thoughts and insights the floor was open to us to share our own opinions and ask questions. I kicked off the discussion by observing the ambiguity of the ending – considering the colour red was symbolic of Rebecca, and the flames from the burning Manderley turned the sky crimson, who had the final say? Looking around me, it was telling that I was the youngest lad there. The majority of comments came from the older women. Still, I’m not ashamed to say I enjoy the novel, and it was interesting to discuss it.
            After this event came the jazz evening in the church, for which Mum was rejoining me. Unfortunately the singer, Annika, was unable to sing due to illness, so a top saxophonist, Martin, was drafted in at the last minute. The event was a huge success, and the proficiency of the musicians was something to admire – the drummer and double bassist were returning faces from last year. Mum enjoyed the evening, as did I, not least because the man sitting next to us thankfully stopped tapping his foot (off beat) and making the whole pew shake.
            Tomorrow is a free day. Perhaps a trip to Lansallos, but that’s not a definite plan. Weather and enthusiasm will play a big part in the ultimate decision, but I’ll leave that for the morning.


Day 6 – Thursday, 17th May 2018

            It’s come to the end of another full day, and looking back, there’s plenty to talk about.
            The main subject of the day was the walk to Lansallos, that Mum had originally suggested yesterday. Setting off with Mum and Moses in the ‘other’ direction we joined the coast path as it wound its way round Lantic Bay and later, Lanivet Bay, stopping en route (at Martha’s bench) to enjoy our pasties and continue in our books. Despite the walk from Polruan to Lansallos being only three miles as the crow flies, the many hills made it feel much longer.
            Our aim was to get the bus back to Polruan once we’d reached the other end, however time pressures meant we felt somewhat rushed to catch the ten past four bus (it was four o’clock with another half mile to go). The next bus was at five fifty, so we decided to take things at a more relaxed pace, also giving us a chance to get our breath back!
            At Lansallos, Mum introduced me to Highertown Farm, where she’d camped with her friend Vicky previously. There we found a bench and a table-tennis table, but first I set an alarm so we didn’t miss our bus (the last one of the day).
            While I sat on the bench to read my book, Mum laid out on the grass to take a nap. However, it wasn’t long before disaster struck(!) and Mum’s glasses broke in half – accidentally crushed. Once a solution to this predicament had been found (opticians and spare glasses) Mum took her mind off it by challenging me to some table-tennis – much to the confusion of Moses, when the ball kept flying off towards him. Mum taught me how to serve properly, and this kept us occupied and entertained for the remaining time. I resolved not to be beaten, and was busy perfecting my stroke when my alarm sounded to tell us we had ten minutes before the bus. Just one more shot.
            As I took my shot, and then started to pack away our stuff, we heard a vehicle driving up the road. To our surprise we saw the bus, five minutes early, drive on past us without stopping. In vain we hoped it was the one going the other way and that ours was running late, but after ten minutes more we considered the worst. Mum popped across the road and asked the lady there for advice. She, Debbie, said to give her five minutes and she would run us back to Polruan herself – such a kind gesture. As we travelled we couldn’t help thinking it ironic that we arrived almost two hours early for our bus, and ended up missing it by five minutes!
            We said thank you at the top of Polruan and walked back to the cottage. The evening was still reasonably young. After dinner I sat outside and played cards – I won this game of Rummy, two rounds to one, making myself even with Mum over this holiday. The decider would come another day.
            Later on we enjoyed my next Midsomer episode, ‘Blood Wedding’, which I only vaguely remembered. Of all the DVDs I’ve brought along, it’s surprising to think I’ve only watched two episodes of Midsomer Murders this whole week – no Star Trek, no Doctor Who, no movies. But then, the sun has been too good to waste.
            With memories of a full and tiring day, I sign off here. Tomorrow, the final day.


Day 7 – Friday, 18th May 2018

            It was a lazy morning – our last ‘proper’ morning in Polruan, sadly (we would be going our separate ways tomorrow). As we contemplated what to do today, Mum suggested heading over to Readymoney Cove at St Catherine’s Point, as we hadn’t wandered in that direction yet this week. To give us some variation it sounded great. We would leave at about midday, after Mum had managed some practice.
            As I waited to go out for the walk, I took the opportunity to continue my Romans study. The teaching from Romans 2 showed us the dangers of living a life of religiosity, and taught us to examine our own hearts when we felt tempted to pass judgement on others – something that I am guilty of.
            When at last Mum, Moses and I headed out for our walk, we stopped first at the yacht club for lunch – I enjoyed fish and chips. I was very glad to be sitting in the shady part of the terrace, by the back wall, so we didn’t have to contend with thieving seagulls – very brazen, as we observed. Mum and I made good progress with our books (from my book, Daphne was now well settled at Ferryside), whilst Moses grew restless under the table – wanting to continue his walk, most likely.
            In due course we pressed onwards up the hill to Readymoney Cove, but on arriving, and knowing the rules preventing dogs from going onto the beach, we found limited space. What we really wanted was somewhere warm enough in the sun to continue reading, but everywhere was instead rather chilly. When we noticed that it was past three, and our evening festival event started at six (so we would have to leave the cottage at five), we decided to avoid St Catherine’s Point and make our way back over to Polruan. Thus, we could continue our books in comfort.
            This evening’s event was a showing of the 2017 film adaptation of My Cousin Rachel, starring Rachel Weisz. Though I’d seen it before, Mum hadn’t, so I was interested to hear her opinion. Despite the somewhat uncomfortable pews (due to demand, we were now in the church) it was hugely enjoyable to see it again, and compare it to both the book and to the original black and white version which I’d seen over Easter. There were some areas that strayed from the original writing, but on the whole it was a good portrayal. After the showing, Dr Laura Varnam shared her insight and opinions, including a particular look at West Horsley Place, the filming location for the house scenes. Fascinating!
            As Mum and I left, just after eight thirty, we spoke briefly to Philip and Pam, a couple who remembered us from last year. I also had to face that heartwrenching moment as I became aware that I would be leaving Fowey for the last time this year; the worst ferry trip as I remembered all our happy memories over the week, knowing my time was up.
            To round off my final evening I settled down to watch Star Trek – at last! Moses sat with me as I watched, alone.
            Though I am looking forward to the week ahead, I am understandably sad that this week has now come to its conclusion. Moses licked my hand affectionately, and I realised it would be another long while before we would go out walking together again.
            But life must go on, and so to bed.


Day 8 – Saturday, 19th May 2018

            We all knew this day would come. By the time I woke at seven Dad had already packed up and left with Moses. I heard him moving around at six, but was too tired to get up.
            The holiday feeling was fading fast, as I wandered through the now sparse rooms, cleared of all signs of our time here. Most of all I missed Moses, usually there to greet me, now doubtless riding in the car, with little comprehension that I may not see him again for another year (if Christmas isn’t a Devon affair).
            Meanwhile, while I reflected on times gone by, Mum was still sleeping – she has a busy evening ahead. When she finally did wake she found a boiled sweet under the mattress cover, not our doing, which gave the impression of a rather strange nosebleed, having spread itself onto the sheets and pillowcases.
            Anxious to leave to get to her rehearsal in Plymouth (a concert tonight), Mum began to lose patience with my rather slow packing (admittedly I had just stopped to do some banking admin). In a frumpy mood I stormed outside, but after realising that my last views from Hoe Cottage would be filled with anger and irritation, I deliberately walked to the bench outside the lounge, sat and let the view take my full attention for the final moment. I was at peace again.
            I raced to the office at the quayside with the keys and explained about the boiled sweet predicament whilst booking for next year. Within ten minutes I was back again and we were on our way to Plymouth. Farewell Polruan, dear little town.
            We arrived at St Andrew’s church at eleven thirty, and while Mum rehearsed with Vicky and her other colleagues I made myself scarce, heading to the Hoe. Finding a bench I continued my book, although the cool breeze gave the air a bit of a chill. I wrapped my fleece round me, conscious that somehow I was the only one wearing a jumper. Were people crazy?
            Later on, after a picnic lunch and more rehearsal time (I stayed in the church, happily sitting at the back), all the musicians stopped for dinner, and five of us (Mum, Vicky, Judy, Cecilia and myself) went across to the Chinese buffet. This proved a perfect opportunity to get reacquainted with Cecilia, particularly, a long time friend of our family, and goddaughter of my late aunt, Ruth. She is my age (October) and is getting married next year, so plenty to talk about, aside from her harp playing. We laughed as we commented on the all you can eat buffet and the ice cream selection.
            The concert consisted of pieces by Fauré and Ravel (particularly Fauré’s Requiem), and I got a seat near the front so as to see Mum clearly. Alas, I spent so much time trying to understand the comments in the programme that I struggled to appreciate certain parts of the music – although I recognised various movements from Mum’s practising at the cottage. Deciding to ignore the comments of the programme for the second half, I enjoyed the music much more! However, all that said, I found it to be a very enjoyable evening.
            However, the day’s events weren’t over. Exercising my VIP status as ‘one of the team’ I assisted with packing up the music stands. Mum offered to take my belongings to the car, but rather than just taking my fleece, she mistakenly picked up a black rucksack – this wasn’t mine. Frustratingly however, we only realised this error once we’d arrived at Vicky’s in Totnes.
            Instinctively I sent a text to the mobile number printed on the owner’s diary. No reply. On checking the bag more thoroughly we discovered his phone (ah!), chequebook, travel cards, glasses and wallet. We had discovered that the owner, Mark, worked at the Theatre Royal in Plymouth, but had no easy way of reaching him, keenly aware that tomorrow was Sunday. Vicky suggested calling a number that had tried to call his phone an hour ago (this after we unsuccessfully tried calling the bank, too), and with a sigh of relief we heard him answer. He had tracked his iPhone to Totnes (a function they all have, apparently) and was almost with us. On his arrival at the house, far from being angry, he appeared sympathetic and understanding of the error, although he wondered why he’d brought his entire life with him this evening. Anyway, with panic over, and the feeling that I couldn’t take Mum anywhere these days(!) I wrote this up before retiring to my usual room at Vicky’s.