Day 9 – Sunday, 20th May 2018
As this is an ‘in between day’ I
intend to be deliberately brief with my reflection. However, to miss the day
completely would leave a gap in the chronology of my holiday journal – quite
unacceptable!
Today was always meant to be a
lazy day. And it has been, in that there’s been no pressure to do anything if I
didn’t want to. The main things to mention are my gardening efforts – planting
carrots and digging up roots – and watching Loving
Vincent, the recent film, created in full delicate painted animation - a
marvel, even if I didn’t fully understand it (but then I did watch it in three
separate instalments due to various other things going on).
To dwell for a moment on the
gardening, it felt immensely satisfying to be doing good, masculine digging,
and I welcomed the dirt on my hands. I look forward to seeing the results of my
efforts over the months to come.
I leave Totnes tomorrow at
midday for the Lake District, so best get some rest for the journey ahead.
Day 10 – Monday, 21st May 2018
My train was due to leave Totnes at eleven fifty, so I was able to
enjoy a leisurely morning, in the company of my hosts, Vicky and Michael. As
time ticked slowly on , Mum lovingly prepared me some sandwiches and buns for
my six hour journey. It had been a pleasant time in Devon, briefly allowing
neutral ground and down time between my two holidays. I particularly savoured
yesterday, a chance to be free of routine and pressure, but with a feeling of
satisfaction at the end of it as I looked back over my efforts, my gardening –
I had definitely earned my beer!
I departed the big house at half past eleven, saying farewell and
thanks to Vicky and Michael. Mum drove me to the station, and as we said
goodbye I reflected on how it felt as if I was gradually saying goodbye to
family life, returning to London friends and eventually my London routine. This
prospect made me sad – I would miss my family, and the change was too soon.
To lighten my mood however, I discovered my reserved sear for the first
leg of my journey to Penrith (going as far as Birmingham), A24, was first class
– to my great surprise. I relaxed in luxury, all refreshments included in my
ticket price. Contented, I laid back and opened by book.
As the journey progressed, I realised we were running about five
minutes behind schedule. Ordinarily this wouldn’t have been so bad, but this
time I had a connection to make and my time gap changed from twenty minutes to
just ten. Understandably, I was very anxious to catch my next train, but there
were no clear signs to say what platform to go to. On platform 8, at Birmingham
New Street, I discovered I needed to be on platform 6 on the other side of the
tracks, and in my dismay tried to find a way across. The lift was taking too
long, so ever conscious of the time, I lugged my bags up the stairs and down
again, arriving just as my train was pulling in. My next reserved seat was L16,
but I preferred to be on the train and make my way along the aisles, rather
than risk missing the train altogether. Again I found myself in the last
carriage – first class once more! I caught my breath and returned to my
reading. Reading about Cornwall, my mind played over the events of last week
and I sighed deeply as I accepted that the second phase of my holiday was about
to begin, with friends, but the dynamics would be very different.
After a short bus ride from Penrith station, I arrived in Keswick at
about seven. Back in familiar surroundings again, I greeted Dan, Venna and Tom,
before taking some time to buy some supplies at Booth’s.
Arriving at the house, Tom started preparing dinner, Monday Pie – I’m
glad I’m not allergic to Mondays! However, as the three of them had been
together since Saturday, and had settled in, I couldn’t help feeling out of
place. Only four full days here, for me. I had a feeling time would go quickly.
Dinner was delicious – hats off to Tom. To my shame I had to admit I
hadn’t given meals much thought, but Tom seemed happy to cook, so I decided to
leave him to it.
For lack of a DVD player, we watched a movie on television this evening
– The Bourne Ultimatum. I couldn’t
remember whether I’d seen it before, but enjoyed it all the same, despite not
being a huge fan of the filming style (give me a classic Bond movie any day).
Tomorrow we will walk, with a reasonably early start, so as the clock
approaches midnight I’ll round off here. I had arrived in the Lakes.
Day 11 –
Tuesday, 22nd May 2018
Looking back over today’s events,
the main one that jumps out is the ‘epic’ walk that Dan, Tom and I embarked on.
Having packed enough clothes, food and water, we set out at nine, our
destination was Seathwaite, to hike up to Scafell Pike. Wanting to prove to
myself that I was capable of completing such a trek (after the disappointment
of last year’s attempt up Skiddaw), my response was keen – bring it on!
Following a route marked out on
the Ordinance Survey map, we walked from Seathwaite camp site, over Stockley
Bridge and up to Styhead Tarn. Dan and I dozed briefly before considering our
onward path. Veering left off the marked path we headed next to Sprinkling
Tarn, another hidden lake. Throughout our walk the views were stunning. It was
interesting to consider the difference in atmosphere felt at these tarns in the
glorious sunshine, in comparison to last year’s moody Innominate Tarn. Both
memorable in their own special ways.
However, as far as accomplishing
our trek to Scafell Pike, this is as close as we got. Due to time and energy
constraints, we decided to shorten the hike by turning around and climbing up
the mountain known as Great Gable. With Dan plodding slowly behind, Tom and I
clambered up, across the boulder fields, reaching the summit with a feeling of
great satisfaction. However, we were slightly concerned, as Dan, who never
intended to climb to the peak with us, but rather press on towards neighbouring
Green Gable, disappeared out of sight – we feared he may have been struggling.
Up to this point our new plan
had been to summit Green Gable and cross over to Base Brown before returning to
Seathwaite, but things were now revised again as we considered it best to avoid
Green Gable altogether, and simply retrace our steps. Alas, no Scafell Pike,
but I did revel in the fact that we had summitted Great Gable, no mean feat!
As we descended, myself battling
aching ankles and uneven rocks, we were driven forward by the knowledge of sausage
and mash awaiting us on our return, lovingly prepared by Venna (who had enjoyed
a day out in Keswick and Grasmere). The three of us, by now, we had proved to
be in varying degrees of fitness, stopping frequently for rests, toilet breaks,
or just because. The path never seemed to end.
The car journey back to the
cottage, Walla Crag, was uncomfortable on the account that I felt on the edge
of dehydrated, rather delicate. Not knowing how long we would be walking for,
I’d held back from drinking more water, to my detriment. However, I soon felt
better after a hearty dinner comprising a selection of ‘Boothian’ sausages and
mash, followed (in time) by cheesecake, serenaded by Dan’s music collection. It
was getting late at this point, so our evening ended here and all, apart from
me, went to bed. Tomorrow would be a lazy day, so I wasn’t too concerned. A chance
to write some postcards, hopefully.
Day 12 – Wednesday, 23rd May 2018
Today was a slightly lazier day
for us, with no huge walks planned. I made boiled eggs for breakfast for Tom
and myself, as we waited for Dan. We were due to leave at ten. However, for Dan
things were much lazier than expected, as he accidentally slept through his
alarm. At ten he appeared, and so it was slightly later that we finally left
for Keswick.
It was my plan, as we had about
forty minutes free time, to buy some postcards to write today (any later and
they’d arrive while I was back in London) and get something for lunch, possibly
from Bryson’s, the famous bakery. Any further purchases would be a bonus. As it
happened, after buying my postcards and a roll from Brsyon’s I met up with Tom,
ended up buying a shirt (partly with the enthusiasm and reassurance that comes
from payday) and a second lunch option – a haggis pasty and a black pudding
Scotch egg. I felt I was making good on my failings from last year – the shirt
and the pasty.
Onwards to Buttermere (via a
pint in the local inn), to relax with my book under the boughs of a tree at the
lakeside. Idyllic to look out over the water once again, although rather
uncomfortable due to the rather exposed tree roots preventing me from leaning
against the trunk. Still, it’s not every day you’re in such a lovely spot.
Retracing our steps from last
year further, we next made our way to the Syke tearooms for ice cream and teas
(mine a green tea), served to us by a charming young lady. A chance to discuss
plans for the coming days and reflect on things so far.
A highlight of the day was the
roadside stop-off between Buttermere and Honister, where we took time to ourselves
to read or nap. The sun beat down on us so it soon became very hot and, despite
the pleasure of tanning nicely, shade was needed. Still, I very much enjoyed my
book and the chance to be free of any responsibility or stress – not a feeling
to come across very much in London!
After an hour or so, on to the
familiar Skelwith Bridge with its double hump, and the memories and stories it
brought to mind. Here, in the church I couldn’t resist buying some greetings
cards (which I know I’ll use) and a framed print – possibly a gift for someone.
Again, this was due to the enthusiasm that came from payday.
I was glad to revisit the
plaice, chips and smoked black pudding from the Keswickian this evening. We had
a lovely view over Derwent Water across to ‘Toby and Laura’s’ island (where he
proposed) as we lounged in Crow Park. The food went down a treat!
The day closed with a flying
visit to the ‘Lightning Tree’ and a film, The
Wolverine, after which I started on some postcards. I had eight in mind,
including writing to Mum and Dad, thanking them for an enjoyable previous
holiday – now feeling so distant.
Tomorrow would be another hike –
destination as yet unknown.
Day 13 – Thursday, 24th May 2018
This morning the first thing on
my mind was to finish writing my postcards so I could get them posted –
although with today being Thursday, it is likely they will arrive on Saturday
morning when we’re travelling back. Still, it’s the thought that counts. I was
relieved when they were all written, and in due course I look forward to any
responses I may get.
Not that morning quiet time should
become a legalist thing, but I was conscious that I had been lacking in my
Bible reading whilst up in the Lake District. Although today I still didn’t
have a deliberate time, I made a point of reading the daily calendar devotion
and being encouraged by it. Rather appropriately it talked of wrinkles and old
age, aches, fatigue and pills – much of which I have seen signs of this week.
The verse for today was 2 Corinthians 4:16, talking about the renewal of the
inward man as we look towards the new creation.
Bag packed again, we left the
cottage at ten, our destination Grasmere. On route I posted my cards, more
relaxed knowing they were finally out of the way.
In Grasmere, Dan, Tom and I
embarked on a four mile trek on a route around Grasmere Lake, stopping partway
round to explore the Rydal caves, and their stunning architecture and
mesmerising natural acoustics, even enjoying a little sing. Shortly after we
entered the largest cave, a group of about twenty youths, likely a school trip,
approached, the girls slim and youthful, the guys masculine and bearded –
despite my best efforts, I was somewhat distracted. After lunch on nearby
rocks, we continued our loop, passing many young couples and seemingly
innumerable dogs. Although the terrain remained largely flat throughout, I
found that the heat of the day made me very sluggish and it felt like an effort
– more so than Great Gable, surprisingly.
Venna met us on the green when
we returned to Grasmere village at two thirty. I bought a cool drink from
Lucia’s coffee shop, drawn to it because of the advert on my bookmark. Then I
settled on the grass to read my book, bought in the bookstore here last year –
it seemed fitting to have returned.
Alas, my solitude was cut short
as we needed to return to the cottage. We had no specific plans for the
afternoon, but we thought it best to head back. Feeling too hot and tired I
napped for an hour before showering and changing (into my new shirt). As I
rested in the lounge I considered how this little holiday in Keswick had a much
more gentle, muted feel to it – possibly due to it being my second holiday, so
I was more tired, and arriving late, missing out on Saturday, Sunday and most
of Monday. A difficult feeling to describe, but perhaps you can appreciate my
mood. This was further enhanced by the knowledge that it would be our last full
day tomorrow, and Tom would be leaving us.
At about six fifteen we left for
a curry at the local Indian, the Sultan. The meal (starter, main, rice and
naan) was immensely satisfying but very filling, so I consequently spent the
rest of the evening in a rather delicate state, having eaten my limit, feeling
much rounder than usual. A good way to round off our trip, the four of us, and
how I love a hearty Indian!
The TV movie this evening was
Jean-Claude Van Damme’s Sudden Death,
a little known 1995 action film involving a hostage situation at an ice hockey game.
Clichés
abounded, but it was an enjoyable movie – despite the less than ideal sofa,
which I kept sliding out of!
The plan tomorrow remains a
mystery for now, although we will say goodbye to Tom in the afternoon. There
was talk of rain, or a cinema trip (unlikely), but I’ll have to wait and see.
Whatever we decide, you’ll hear it here. Goodnight.
Day 14 – Friday, 25th May 2018
As I sit down to write this, I
am keenly aware that we’re leaving Keswick tomorrow.
The day started as Tom finished
his packing. He would be leaving us in the afternoon to go to a convention for
a few days. We sent him off with our prayers.
Our plan for the day was to stop
by Keswick to buy lunch (I got the sweet chili chicken roll from Bryson’s) and
go onward to the osprey viewing area. While we were in Keswick, I was rather
tempted to buy a cashmere tartan scarf, as there were so many beautiful designs
on show – however, alas, I thought I’d better not, as I had no intended
recipients, and it would just be an impulse buy.
On our way to the osprey viewing
area, which we initially couldn’t seem to find, we stumbled across a quaint
little church and took a look inside. The stained glass window depicting faith,
hope and charity was particularly eye-catching with the sun behind, although
rain was forecast for later.
Soon we were at the familiar
osprey viewing area, sitting outside the tea shop with tea and food. I tried to
discretely eat my chili chicken sandwich, but the generous filling was hard to
contain. Satisfied, Tom and I walked up to the viewpoint, chatting on the way.
Alas, no ospreys were to be seen so, amidst the strangely dying, browning
conifers, we headed back to the car, where Dan and Venna were waiting.
Before dropping Tom off in
Penrith we stopped off at Buttermere for one last time to enjoy a drink at the
Fish Inn.
The journey to Penrith was not
without incident. As we endeavoured to make good progress to get to the station
on time, we found ourselves behind an older driver, who despite stopping to let
oncoming cars pass him, proceeded to give us the finger when we tried, very
reasonably, to overtake. We managed to overtake eventually, but the perceived
hostility and difficult manoeuvre stunned me into silence. However, for the
next twenty minutes or so, and after Tom had left us, we discussed it in depth.
As if in response to this incident and Tom’s departure, the long predicted rain
began to fall at three forty. My spirits were also somewhat subdued as I
realised it was now just the three of us.
At six we went out for dinner to
the old courthouse, now the Wetherspoon’s in Keswick. We had hoped to sit in
the old cell, as a novelty, but as it was so busy we made do with a table just
inside the main entrance, although the layout was the most unusual I’ve seen,
due to the original nature of the building. My 14oz rump steak and black
pudding really hit the spot. As we ate, I found out the backstory of how Dan
and Venna first met, in Teddington, and I gained a greater appreciation of my
two friends.
We had an evening film planned
(Keswick cinema had been overruled by this time), but as we had plenty of time
before, Dan took us back to Castlerigg Stone Circle currently surrounded with
adorable lambs running around, playing their ‘Game of Stones’ (as Venna called
it), where one would climb up and jump from one to another, sometimes colliding
with another lamb.
Adorableness exhausted, we then
made our way to the church and youth centre at St John’s in the Vale, a haunt
of Paul Simpson’s, and location for an upcoming July holiday for some.
At nine was our movie choice, The Purge, a film I never thought I’d
watch on account of the horror theme, but it played out like an action
thriller, with echoes of Panic Room,
seen last year.
After catching up on my journal,
and with a sigh, I rounded off the day – we would leave tomorrow.
Day 15 –
Saturday, 26th May 2018
Our time in Keswick had ended
far too soon, it felt. I woke up at seven, alone in my room, had a shower and
started to pack. We wanted to leave reasonably early.
After a final check we left the
cottage at about quarter past nine. Venna returned the key (an improvement on
last year) and Dan and I headed into town one last time to get lunch. I picked
up the Bryon’s signature sandwich, and what I thought was an apple pie – it was
pork and apple, but still delicious. As with last year, Dan also picked up a
charcoal cheese for Toby and Laura, and in my curiosity I did too, along with a
‘Lancashire Bomb’, previously recommended by my housemate Phil. Before I could
buy it as a gift for someone it was only right that I should sample it.
On the long car journey I sat in
the back, wedged in place by numerous bags, and we discussed numerous topics.
The subject of quiet times was mentioned, as I’d felt convicted of my lack of
Bible reading over our time in Keswick, so unlike last year. Dan suggested
evening times, possibly before journal writing, allowing me to reflect on the
day and pray things over.
We returned to Kingston around
half past four, and Josh helped me with my bags. There are still two full days of
holiday to enjoy, but being back in London at last has rather woken me up to
reality again and imminent regular life with its duties and demands. Oh, to be
in Cornwall again.
However, as I face the prospect
of returning to the daily routine, I am reminded that God will give me the
strength I need to face whatever comes. I am immensely thankful to Him for his
blessings over the last two weeks.
END.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.