Well, today saw the West Buckland School Athletics Championships 2010, and Mark and I travelled into school to enjoy the day's events, as is our habit. This year was especially exciting as all four houses were within reach of the Southcomb Shield, the end of year award. Even my beloved Grenville stood a chance!
Once we arrived at school, we headed straight to the Chapel where we left our bags, and settled down for the first three quarters of an hour before the games began at 9:45. During this time we took some photos of ourselves (we were dressed smartly, with suits and OWBA ties), and Mark showed me the documentary section (basically, a picture gallery) of the Les Misérables DVD - a performance that the West Bucklanders performed earlier in the year. I can't wait to see it in full - not just because it's being performed by people I know (though names are gradually escaping me), but because I've never seen it before! After 'watching' the production photos, and listening to the stirring music, the time came for the start of events. I left the Chapel feeling empowered, and ready for the start of an exciting day.
We wandered around the sports fields watching the various events as they got underway. It was strange not seeing Dr B on the javelin (and helping out, "for like, ten years!" ). As we waited around the track events, we met up with Ben, Felix and Harry. I also realised just how hot it could get in a suit, particularly with the sun beating down full pelt! I cheered Grenville on, and hopefully made a difference.
After we'd watched some of the events Mark and I took a brief wander around the school grounds, including a visit to the drama studio of the new 150th Building. It's an amazing new building to have, and actually, the more I see of it, the more I like it - very different to my initial opinions. After almost being caught by a cleaner, we got out of there.
After a short while of more photos and some rather bad acting on my part, we walked back up to the fields. However, partly guided by Mr Ralph's commentary, we realised that everything seemed to be drawing to a close for the morning. There was nothing else for it, but to journey to the Chapel for lunch. Which we did. Eventually.
Over lunch we relaxed with more crazy photos and a recording of a Poirot parody from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. It was a lot of fun.
The afternoon was productive, with the remainder of the events taking place (obviously) - the relay races, and the rest of the javelin, shot, discuss, and high jump events. However, Mark and I positioned ourselves by the track and cheered on the runners. Consquently I was unsure about the other results.
On a high note, I managed to master the art of eating an ice cream without making (too much of) a mess. I have a good photo to prove it.
By the time it came for the tug of war, Mr P was discussing with us how he thought Fortescue was doing. I held on to my optimism that Grenville still had a chance, and gained encouragement from the fact that they won the 'longest tug of war ever'. Against Fortescue. Take that, Mark! The overall winners were Courtenay however, who promptly devoured the (slightly smaller) celebratory cake. Would they win the Southcomb Shield though?
Final assembly came, but Mark and I didn't get seats in the hall. After all the regular notices, the Sports Day prizes were awarded, and the winners of the shield were announced. Mark's haiku says it all:
Grenville hopes are raised,
Courtenay win the Southcomb Shield,
There's always the pub.
As the credits rolled, and the camera faded out to the music of 'Jerusalem', Mark and I made our way back to the Chapel. There we would get our bags and have a last bit of fun (throwing an empty water bottle into a bin again and again).
It was a fun, but tiring day. I can't believe Year 16 is over already!
The photos to accompany this blog post can be found on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=446546&id=777915320&l=f4778ffe27
Enjoy!
Thursday, 8 July 2010
Chapter Fifteen - "Sports Day 2010"
Labels:
awards,
Chapel,
Felix,
ice cream,
Les Miserables,
Mark,
Southcomb Shield,
Sports Day,
West Buckland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.