Thursday, 22 July 2010

Chapter Sixteen - "Sun, Sea and Signals"

It's taken me rather longer than expected to get back to writing this. I've had rather a lot to think about recently, fond memories and exciting ventures.

I left you at the end of a very memorable Sports Day - see the previous chapter if you missed it. On the Friday as a family we were heading off to Cornwall, to the lovely town of Fowey, for the weekend and to celebrate Dad's birthday.

It was a memorable little trip, with many highlights including a birthday supper (grilled mackerel; locally caught, as the waitress informed me), a good old 5 mile walk (alas without the dog, as she'd gone out earlier in the day), a fishing trip, and some time reading a new novel on the quay.

I'd originally asked about the fishing trip on the Saturday (to give me something to do), but it was postponed due to bad weather, so I took the next opportunity and booked my place on the one the following morning, determined to catch something this time! However, it was only when I got back to the B&B that I realised it was Sunday the following day. Fortunately I managed to get to an early morning communion service, and I smiled when I thought about the disciples fishing on the lake; I was certainly following a trend. I caught eleven, and even claimed the 'prize' for the biggest catch of the day! I then proceded through the town, carrying the fish back to the house, only to inadvertently drip blood all along the carpet to the upstairs room. In the photo you'll notice I'm conveniently holding them out of the window!

Having finished Rebecca a while ago, I asked in the bookshop about Daphne Du Maurier's next book to read, and was recommended The House on the Strand, which incorporated time travel with horror - just my thing. Oh, and I also picked up another book... by Jane Austen. *ahem*

One of the things I'd miss when I returned home, was the freedom I had to wander around unhindered - I could just go out to the shops or the quay on my own. What's more, there was always a nice holiday feel about it, and a seemingly large number of young girls about. (I must keep reminding myself that there'll be someone one day.) Anyway, my photos can be seen on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=448459&id=777915320&l=18384f9b2a

Since returning to Devon, I occupied myself with my studies (my project) and doing things around the house, as transport further afield can be tricky. Talking about transport however, I decided to rebook my driving theory test - Wednesday, 28th July. Your prayers would be very much appreciated. This also gives me a focus for the holiday, something to work towards. As time passed by, and I watched the golf on television (and searched in vain for Mark amongst the watching crowd), an idea was suggested to me: a week-long driving course to help me pass my test, in an automatic car. It was now or never.

Initially I was wary, not wishing a repeat of my last experience in Bristol (the less said about it the better), but considering the local automatic car driving instructor's mobile phone was 'temporarily unavailable' and his email address kept failing to receive messages, I considered it my best option. The thing was... it was in Blackpool.

After some enquiries I booked my place. I'd leave on the Thursday, the day after my theory test (if I failed, I could retake it as part of this course), ready to begin lessons on the Friday 30th. Or so I thought. Having already bought the train tickets up, I realised that it started on Saturday 31st, running to Friday 6th August (the day of the test). NOT Friday-to-Friday after all! Subsequently, I had an extra day in Blackpool. Well, it gives me a chance to see the sights and prepare myself, as I'll be busy for the rest of the week - out in a car for six hours each day. I wonder how many other people there'll be doing it too...

So that's all to look forward to. Last Sunday I had a relaxed Sunday lunch (the first of two roasts) with some friends from church - Dave (who recently got a First in maths at Warwick), and Ant (who aims to head back out to America in the near future to continue a Christian course, visa permitting). It was a great chance to catch up with the guys; two people who I feel right at home with. Dave's due to start his job in September - how time goes so quickly!

There's not much left to tell right now. I have to visit town again tomorrow for the routine optician stuff, and in the evening there's a Silver Wedding Anniversary celebration at the pub for my driving instructor and his wife. Then everything looks towards the driving. It'll be exciting, but I'm praying harder than ever for a breakthrough!

I'll write again when I find time, and more things to cover. So, until then.





(... oh, and I got a hamster - don't worry, a virtual one on iGoogle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.