Saturday, 20 September 2014
Chapter Forty Nine – "Israel, Part Five: Closing Memories"
Day 9 – Sunday, 7th September 2014 (‘The Tunnel, the End, and the Light’)
The alarm woke me this morning at five – possibly the earliest start I’ve had on this trip. Ordinarily, I wouldn’t have got up at such an unearthly hour, but this morning we were returning to the Mount of Olives, to see the sunrise over Jerusalem. Something I had wanted to do all trip, but hadn’t had a proper chance to do until now. So George, our coach driver, did us a huge favour and met us at five thirty for the drive up. We appreciate his willingness to help us out. Aside from observing a lovely sunrise over the city, the main reason was for Steve to correct his previous user-error, and film the sunrise – to eventually convert his footage into an eight second time lapse video. As we were gathered together at the top of the mount, we took the opportunity to pray over the city, asking the Lord for the peace of Jerusalem. It was a powerful moment – if a bit cold!
After returning to the hotel for breakfast, we met up again at ten to go to church. Most of us had decided to go along to our guide’s church (which I discovered earlier was Arabic-speaking), as he would be leading the worship. I agreed with what Steve said, ‘How often can you say you’ve been along to an Arabic church service?'
All we knew, as we followed Ian into old Jerusalem, was that the church was situated between the seventh and eighth stations of the cross, hidden away as we made our way along the Islamic streets – an unusual place to find a church. In my mind, I imagined something akin to finding Platform Nine and Three Quarters, with some secret door to this place of worship. When we began to see crosses on the doors and walls, we knew we were going in the right direction.
When we arrived at the church, we were led upstairs. Our guide was already inside, preparing. We were given headphones with English translations for the service, which I found very useful for the worship, as some songs were displayed totally in Arabic. Some songs had English translations displayed, along with the Arabic words in a western alphabet, so for these songs I sang in their language. It was a joy to sing praise to God using a different language, joining with our brothers and sisters in Jerusalem. It was truly inspirational to hear their heartfelt praise, and it was hugely moving and encouraging for me. When the preacher began to bring us the sermon, I really tried to focus, but I kept finding my thoughts wandering. It was very hard work to try and listen to the lady interpreting (struggling to keep up, meaning a lot of the points were disjointed), particularly as the speaker was pretty much constantly shouting into the microphone. Passionate, yes, but the need for shouting, I beg to differ. We finished off our time with them by sharing the Lord’s supper. Somehow it felt significant, joining another nation as we shared it together. As they began to sing their last song, we needed to leave.
As we walked back to the hotel for a very quick lunch (I was glad I made sandwiches at breakfast), Jeanette told me of a very strange experience she had had on coming out to the church. Helen and she had decided to return to the Via Dolorosa, to further appreciate some of the stations of the cross. While Helen had decided to go back to the hotel, Jeanette decided to look for the church and join us, though she had absolutely no idea where to go. With the whole of Jerusalem to get lost in, she came across our guide, quite by chance, standing outside the church, waiting to get in. If it wasn’t for him being there at that exact moment, she would surely have missed us – but God had other plans. How odd? No – how God!
After enjoying a very quick lunch of cheese sandwiches, we departed at one o’clock for Hezekiah’s tunnel, a water tunnel supplying the city with water from the Gihon spring – the only source for Jerusalem. Only six of us were brave enough to venture into the depths of the tunnel – pitch black, save for some small keyring torches. Leading our little group was Julia (our very own Indiana Jones), followed by Miriam and Rob, then Essie, Colin and finally myself, bringing up the rear. We sang worship songs for most of the trip, helping us take our mind off our foreboding surroundings. As we got further in, I began to wish I hadn’t chosen to be at the back, as I knew another tour group had been behind us, and I felt we might be being followed – but maybe I was just enjoying the eerie atmosphere! To make sure we were all still together, and that no-one had disappeared into the depths (a good plotline for a horror movie methinks – though alternate directions were somewhat limited), we periodically called out numbers in sequence. Eventually we all made it safe and sound. Perfectly doable in pitch black on one’s own, with hindsight, but that would be quite a test of nerves! Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take any photos of the tunnel, or the subsequent pool of Siloam, just by the tunnel exit, but I didn’t want to chance taking my camera in with me. I really did feel like Indy today!
The formal part of our day over – the last site of our whole trip, in fact, though I’m trying not to think about tomorrow – we would be heading back to the hotel for our usual dinner, and later on, the prize-giving (at a neighbouring hotel, strangely called ‘Christmas’). Before that, however, I had an appointment with a video camera – an informal interview with Steve, reflecting on my highlights, and my general impression of the group, leaders, guide, and hospitality. All pretty faultless, I would say. (In addition to all that, it was well worth saying that my fears about being the odd one out on this tour – having booked on my own – were very short-lived. One of the reasons why I will miss this group so much when I leave, is because we have just bonded as one big family – as we are in Christ! I always felt included and a valuable member. A big thanks to every one of you!)
At half past eight we wandered over to the Christmas Hotel for our big debriefing meeting, which was a lovely time to give out the various awards, share our experiences and highlights of our time together, and have a special time of prayer and worship. As to the awards, I received the prize for ‘most meticulous note-taker’. Other awards of note went to Michelle for ‘most quotable quote’ (on visiting Lazarus’ tomb), ‘Lazarus’ tomb? Man alive!’; David, who got the award for ‘most startled expression’, when it was announced that there was going to be a thirty minute shopping spree; Margaret, who got the award for ‘tastiest toes’ (according to the fish in the river Jordan); and Jeanette, for having the smallest amount of luggage. There were many others, and the list will mostly be online after this trip. As we all shared our personal highlights from the past week, it was evident that God had been near to us, blessing us every day – many times each day, in fact. As an example, we need look no further than Day 2, when David’s leg was miraculously healed – by natural means an impossibility, but we serve a God of the impossible! For me, my highlights were being at the garden tomb, and sharing the Lord’s supper there in such a significant place; singing in the church at Bethesda – as someone said this evening, Michelle I think, probably the closest thing we’ll get to heavenly worship on this side of heaven; seeing the wonderful view of Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives; and remembering the victims of the holocaust at the memorial centre – not really a highlight, but extremely thought provoking. We joined together to sing a worship song, prayed, and closed with Colin’s entertaining story about the time on his last trip to Israel that he had tried to walk all the way from Jerusalem to Jericho – in hindsight, not the smartest idea. By this time, most people had added their email addresses to my contact list, which I was going to distribute for everyone. I had also emphasised our Facebook group, which I hope most of us will join.
I rounded off the day with a cool glass of gin and tonic, and a sociable chat with John and some of the others. It was inspiring to hear stories of their own personal ministry experiences. I knew however, that soon I would need to return to my hotel room (1036), and soon enough the last day would be upon us. We would be on the coach at one, ready for our evening flight. Definitely a trip to remember and treasure, and I would really like to see some of these guys again – soon, if God permits and provides opportunities. Now it is almost midnight, and I shall close here. End of day nine.
Day 10 – Monday, 8th September 2014 (‘ As One Chapter Closes, So Another Begins’)
We were instructed last night that we would need to vacate our rooms by twelve o’clock, which meant we were able to enjoy a leisurely morning; what we did was up to us individually. I joined the others for breakfast at eight, but had it in mind to spend the morning gently getting ahead on my note copying. I knew some people were planning to revisit the café in the Jewish quarter, and others would return to the garden tomb for some private reflection. However, with some unrest having developed in the city over recent hours, those going out were wisely advised not to stray too far. As I returned to my room to continue my writing, I could hear a small demonstration going on outside, but I had no idea what it was about.
The morning passed fairly uneventfully, so I was glad when we were all together again in the lobby, as our bags were being sorted. As we talked together, it felt strange to think that our little band would be going our separate ways by this evening – though I had already received a few invites of hospitality, which I feel sure I will take up over a free weekend sometime.
Ian welcomed us onto the coach – to cries in favour of our guide! Soon we were on our way, passing by (at some indefinite moment) the road to Emmaus. We also read that passage, and prayed as we made our way to the airport. I spent much of the journey somewhere between awake and asleep, and in no time at all we had arrived at our destination.
As we passed through the main doors, however, I was stopped for a random security check. Sure, I had nothing to worry about, but it felt a little strange to be singled out as all my companions passed through uneventfully. As we waited in line, after I had survived my little challenge, I was asked again about the reason for my visit, and if I knew the people I was travelling with. Looking back to my experiences with last year’s Canadian trip, I realise that travelling abroad is certainly become less straightforward. I hoped I wouldn’t have any more impromptu stops (they also quizzed Julia and Colin, but I understand they were just being careful about things we might be taking on the flight).
I breathed a sigh of relief as I got to the departure lounge, and went about buying some last souvenirs and gifts – I found some boxes of Jerusalem-themed chocolates, which I figured my housemates and other friends might appreciate. Then, like a slight variation on a scene from the Great Escape, we all separated to reconvene at the gate, where some goodbyes were said before the mad rush at the other end. Ian and Ruth said goodbye to me, and I said I hoped to see them again, perhaps on a future tour.
The flight itself went without any problems. On discovering my ticket sat me right at the back, on my own, Julia offered to swap with me. So I sat in the middle of the section, with Sharon and Rob. The flight was about four and a half hours, and soon enough I was enjoying another film. I was also very glad to have some quiet time to continue writing up my notes in a ‘neater’ format – I had just reached Friday’s scribblings.
At the other end we passed through the normal checks; thankfully I wasn’t stopped this time! At the baggage carousel, those of us who were left (some had disappeared before we got there, like Steve, Ian and Ruth) said our emotional farewells; Rob and Sharon, Liz and Carol, Helen and Pat, Julia, and Michelle, Margaret and Wendy. I really hope I can keep in touch, and pay them a visit if God provides the opportunity. At least having the email addresses will make our parting slightly easier. But oh, how I hate goodbyes, perhaps now more than ever!
My trip back to Kingston was less than smooth – rather than one bus straight back, I realised it would be two. To try and speed things up, I got an airport bus from Terminal 5 to Terminal 4 (seeing the figures of the ‘three graces’ fade away as the bus took me off), but that confused matters – I must’ve spent the next fifteen minutes looking for a bus terminal that apparently didn’t exist. So back to Plan A, and two buses, via Richmond. But then my contactless card wouldn’t work – thankfully I had a sympathetic driver, so I got to Richmond, where I could renew my travel card before completing my journey.
It was a relief to get in through the door, and finish writing this (my closing chapter), but I wish I had more time to gather my thoughts before my friend Mark’s arrival at one o’clock tomorrow. I’ll see if I can sort some photos and start my blog in the morning (right now, I need rest). As I think back over the priceless memories of the past week, with twenty one new friends, plus our guide, I feel a real sense of joy, gratitude and a longing to remember these events and grow spiritually as a result. I shall try not to cry, but will close my eyes and dream of Israel – and a land of peace.
Amen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

See my photos from the trip at:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154569778780321.1073741851.777915320&type=1&l=f9b9377303